tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 30 Jan 2009 14:52:32
From: Raja
Subject: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
count...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_Cup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Championship_Tennis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_Tour_Championships

Which means

Lendl = 8+5+4 = 17 slams
Borg = 11+2+1 = 14 slams
McEnroe = 7+3+4 = 14 slams
Sampras = 14 slams
Federer = 14 slams ;-) (I will be shocked if he doesnt win this)
Connors = 7+1+2 = 10 slams
Agassi = 8 slams
Becker = 6 slams
Wilander = 5 slams
Nadal = 5 slams
Edberg = 4 slams
Courier = 4 slams

Lendl, Borg, McEnroe, Connors are the only ones on this list who won
ATP YEC and WCT YEC before 1988.

Graf = 22+1 = 23 slams
Navratilova = 15+8 = 23 slams
Evert = 16+4 = 20 slams
S. Williams = 10 slams ;-) (I will be shocked if she doesnt win this)
Seles = 9 slams
V.Williams = 7 slams
Henin = 7 slams
Goolagong = 3+2 = 5 slams
Hingis = 5 slams
Sanchez = 4 slams

Graf, Navratilova, Evert are the only ones on this list who won WTA
YEC before 1988.




 
Date: 31 Jan 2009 07:36:26
From: williemeikle
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 9:46=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:58=A0pm, David W <dw7...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Jan 31, 10:37=A0am, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Jan 30, 5:28=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > On Jan 30, 7:52=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > > > > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > > > > count...
>
> > > > No
>
> > > why not?
>
> > Because the prestige of YEC did not rise to compensate for the AO's
> > lack of it. If the AO was not slam-worthy, then there were only three
> > slams. YEC is not a slam.
>
> No YEC had a lot of prestige in the 70s and until 1987. It was
> probably more important than FO. Why would Evert and Borg skip FO for
> garbage like World Team Tennis but play the YECs?- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Money?


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 00:53:19
From: john
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to overtake Lendl ;-)

"Raja" <zepfloyes@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:b7851394-16eb-4121-a5d0-0b947266bb41@v5g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
> Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> count...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_Cup
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Championship_Tennis
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_Tour_Championships
>
> Which means
>
> Lendl = 8+5+4 = 17 slams
> Borg = 11+2+1 = 14 slams
> McEnroe = 7+3+4 = 14 slams
> Sampras = 14 slams
> Federer = 14 slams ;-) (I will be shocked if he doesnt win this)
> Connors = 7+1+2 = 10 slams
> Agassi = 8 slams
> Becker = 6 slams
> Wilander = 5 slams
> Nadal = 5 slams
> Edberg = 4 slams
> Courier = 4 slams
>
> Lendl, Borg, McEnroe, Connors are the only ones on this list who won
> ATP YEC and WCT YEC before 1988.
>
> Graf = 22+1 = 23 slams
> Navratilova = 15+8 = 23 slams
> Evert = 16+4 = 20 slams
> S. Williams = 10 slams ;-) (I will be shocked if she doesnt win this)
> Seles = 9 slams
> V.Williams = 7 slams
> Henin = 7 slams
> Goolagong = 3+2 = 5 slams
> Hingis = 5 slams
> Sanchez = 4 slams
>
> Graf, Navratilova, Evert are the only ones on this list who won WTA
> YEC before 1988.

AO in 1985 was played with most of top 10 player present that included
Lendl, Mac, Connors,
Wilander, Edberg and Becker, so it was not a joke since most of the leading
contender for GS in the late
80s were present at that tournament and same with 87. So what you posted
is rubbish. WCT tournament
was last played in Dallas in 1989, seriously how many poster here remember
the last WCT winner or
previous winners without looking up in ATP. Any tournament that is not
played with 128 people in the
draw and play best of 5 sets for men does not have the same merit as grand
slam.




 
Date: 31 Jan 2009 01:29:08
From: williemeikle
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 11:22=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:53=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 8:37=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Jan 30, 5:28=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > On Jan 30, 7:52=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > > > > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > > > > count...
>
> > > > No
>
> > > why not?
>
> > Because the AO wasn't as big a "joke" as all that.
>
> okay I exaggerated. But AO was lower in prestige than ATP YEC, WCT YEC
> and WTA YEC.

Only from an American viewpoint.


 
Date: 31 Jan 2009 00:38:42
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 9:45=A0pm, amy <amy.lynn1...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:30=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 5:22=A0pm, "Aimless" <creepingcuriously9...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "Raja" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > > > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > > > count...
>
> > > Fuck you Raja
>
> > Whatever I said is relevant. There were two separate tours in th 70s
> > and 80s (WCT and Grand Prix) which merged into ATP. So need to honour
> > that.
>
> Nothing you say is relevant

in fact u know what I am not relevant. Ignore me.



 
Date: 31 Jan 2009 00:05:24
From: Carey
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to


Raja wrote:
>
> Whatever I said is relevant. There were two separate tours in th 70s
> and 80s (WCT and Grand Prix) which merged into ATP. So need to honour
> that.

Actually that is true; the question is one of weighting. Then there
was also Riordan's (Connors's)
tour... att the main things were $$ and YE #1 (not
computer-determined then, but by "experts' consensus"). "Slam" mania
is a very recent development- last 15 years really. (Wimbledon
excepted)



 
Date: 30 Jan 2009 19:45:54
From: amy
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 5:30=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:22=A0pm, "Aimless" <creepingcuriously9...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > "Raja" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > > count...
>
> > Fuck you Raja
>
> Whatever I said is relevant. There were two separate tours in th 70s
> and 80s (WCT and Grand Prix) which merged into ATP. So need to honour
> that.

Nothing you say is relevant


 
Date: 30 Jan 2009 18:22:59
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 5:53=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 8:37=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 5:28=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Jan 30, 7:52=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > > > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > > > count...
>
> > > No
>
> > why not?
>
> Because the AO wasn't as big a "joke" as all that.

okay I exaggerated. But AO was lower in prestige than ATP YEC, WCT YEC
and WTA YEC.



 
Date: 30 Jan 2009 16:46:58
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 5:58=A0pm, David W <dw7...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 31, 10:37=A0am, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 5:28=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Jan 30, 7:52=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > > > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > > > count...
>
> > > No
>
> > why not?
>
> Because the prestige of YEC did not rise to compensate for the AO's
> lack of it. If the AO was not slam-worthy, then there were only three
> slams. YEC is not a slam.

No YEC had a lot of prestige in the 70s and until 1987. It was
probably more important than FO. Why would Evert and Borg skip FO for
garbage like World Team Tennis but play the YECs?



 
Date: 30 Jan 2009 15:58:19
From: David W
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 31, 10:37=A0am, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:28=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 7:52=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > > count...
>
> > No
>
> why not?

Because the prestige of YEC did not rise to compensate for the AO's
lack of it. If the AO was not slam-worthy, then there were only three
slams. YEC is not a slam.


 
Date: 30 Jan 2009 15:53:06
From: williemeikle
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 8:37=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:28=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 7:52=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > > count...
>
> > No
>
> why not?

Because the AO wasn't as big a "joke" as all that.


 
Date: 30 Jan 2009 15:37:53
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 5:28=A0pm, williemeikle <meiklewill...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 7:52=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > count...
>
> No

why not?


 
Date: 30 Jan 2009 15:30:50
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 5:22=A0pm, "Aimless" <creepingcuriously9...@hotmail.com >
wrote:
> "Raja" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> > YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> > count...
>
> Fuck you Raja

Whatever I said is relevant. There were two separate tours in th 70s
and 80s (WCT and Grand Prix) which merged into ATP. So need to honour
that.



 
Date: 30 Jan 2009 15:28:39
From: williemeikle
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to
On Jan 30, 7:52=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> count...

No



 
Date: 31 Jan 2009 00:22:47
From: Aimless
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to overtake Lendl ;-)

"Raja" <zepfloyes@gmail.com > wrote in message
> Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
> YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
> count...

Fuck you Raja


  
Date: 31 Jan 2009 01:20:25
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Even if Federer wins AO, they still has to win 4 more slams to overtake Lendl ;-)

"Aimless" <creepingcuriously9983@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:49838bca$0$1111$4fafbaef@reader2.news.tin.it...
>
> "Raja" <zepfloyes@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Since AO was pretty much a joke until 1987 can we all assume that
>> YEC's (ATP YEC, WCT YEC and WTA YEC) until 1987 substitute the AO
>> count...
>
> Fuck you Raja


Nice post.