tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 29 Jan 2009 04:56:17
From: stephenj
Subject: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
Federer we saw tonite.




--
the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
appointees.

- Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41




 
Date: 29 Jan 2009 03:10:17
From: susuteko
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On Jan 29, 6:56=A0pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com > wrote:
> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
> Federer we saw tonite.
>
> --
> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
> appointees.
>
> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41

Fed can match Sampras' record in 3 days time, but god knows if he can
ever achieve Agassi's record. I guess Agassi's record is better than
Sampras after all.


  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 11:18:15
From: kaennorsing
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On 29 jan, 15:17, stephenj <s...@cox.com > wrote:
> Whisper wrote:
> > susuteko wrote:
> >> On Jan 29, 6:56 pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
> >>> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
> >>> Federer we saw tonite.
>
> >>> --
> >>> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
> >>> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
> >>> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
> >>> appointees.
>
> >>> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41
>
> >> Fed can match Sampras' record in 3 days time, but god knows if he can
> >> ever achieve Agassi's record. I guess Agassi's record is better than
> >> Sampras after all.
>
> > Guess again.
>
> sadly, a fed win on saturday would catch (and this diminish) one of
> agassi's two main legacy achievements: "best of open era at AO".

Sadly?... :)


   
Date: 30 Jan 2009 17:25:54
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
kaennorsing wrote:
> On 29 jan, 15:17, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
>> Whisper wrote:
>>> susuteko wrote:
>>>> On Jan 29, 6:56 pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
>>>>> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
>>>>> Federer we saw tonite.
>>>>> --
>>>>> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
>>>>> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
>>>>> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
>>>>> appointees.
>>>>> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41
>>>> Fed can match Sampras' record in 3 days time, but god knows if he can
>>>> ever achieve Agassi's record. I guess Agassi's record is better than
>>>> Sampras after all.
>>> Guess again.
>> sadly, a fed win on saturday would catch (and this diminish) one of
>> agassi's two main legacy achievements: "best of open era at AO".
>
> Sadly?... :)


Jaros has always been gay for Andre - famous for it.



  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 04:29:59
From: susuteko
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On Jan 29, 7:41=A0pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au > wrote:
> susuteko wrote:
> > On Jan 29, 6:56 pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
> >> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat th=
e
> >> Federer we saw tonite.
>
> >> --
> >> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
> >> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
> >> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
> >> appointees.
>
> >> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41
>
> > Fed can match Sampras' record in 3 days time, but god knows if he can
> > ever achieve Agassi's record. I guess Agassi's record is better than
> > Sampras after all.
>
> Guess again.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I'm just using your logic... back in 2006 during the french open you
said Federer can achieve what Agassi had within 2 weeks time, but god
knows if he can reach Sampras record, hence concluded that Sampras
record better than Agassi... ironic huh???


   
Date: 30 Jan 2009 13:41:07
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
susuteko wrote:
> On Jan 29, 7:41 pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>> susuteko wrote:
>>> On Jan 29, 6:56 pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
>>>> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
>>>> Federer we saw tonite.
>>>> --
>>>> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
>>>> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
>>>> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
>>>> appointees.
>>>> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41
>>> Fed can match Sampras' record in 3 days time, but god knows if he can
>>> ever achieve Agassi's record. I guess Agassi's record is better than
>>> Sampras after all.
>> Guess again.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
> I'm just using your logic... back in 2006 during the french open you
> said Federer can achieve what Agassi had within 2 weeks time, but god
> knows if he can reach Sampras record, hence concluded that Sampras
> record better than Agassi... ironic huh???


No. It's always easier to win 4 slams than 14. Even Courier made all 4
slam finals, as did Edberg - neither was ever going to get close to 14.





   
Date: 29 Jan 2009 14:32:06
From: TennisGuy
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On Jan 29, 5:03=A0pm, wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> Like all these things, though, one reason Agassi's record exists is the
> changes in the game. After Federer - someone winning his first AO now - n=
o
> one can do it, because Rebound Ace is gone. Before 1988 it also wasn't
> possible.
>
> wg

I know you have a good point that you're trying to make Wendy, but
right now it's a little difficult to understand. The surfaces have
changed so....?
Please also tie your answer in to Laver's slams and the different
surfaces he won them on.



   
Date: 29 Jan 2009 16:03:50
From:
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
In article
<24a67a47-34b9-4574-b58b-cd73511a96b8@g39g2000pri.googlegroups.com >,
faizal.mmu@gmail.com (susuteko) wrote:

>
> I'm just using your logic... back in 2006 during the french open you
> said Federer can achieve what Agassi had within 2 weeks time, but
> god
> knows if he can reach Sampras record, hence concluded that Sampras
> record better than Agassi... ironic huh???

I think if anyone gets Agassi's record - by which I assume you mean
winning all four GSs on different surfaces - it will be Federer. I'm sure
he wants to. :)

Like all these things, though, one reason Agassi's record exists is the
changes in the game. After Federer - someone winning his first AO now - no
one can do it, because Rebound Ace is gone. Before 1988 it also wasn't
possible.

wg


   
Date: 29 Jan 2009 21:00:13
From: TT
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
susuteko wrote:

> I'm just using your logic... back in 2006 during the french open you
> said Federer can achieve what Agassi had within 2 weeks time, but god
> knows if he can reach Sampras record, hence concluded that Sampras
> record better than Agassi... ironic huh???

Good one.

--
"Now I have so many dreams to chase - the French Open, an Olympic
singles gold medal in London in 2012, the Davis Cup for Switzerland"


    
Date: 30 Jan 2009 17:20:05
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
TT wrote:
> susuteko wrote:
>
>> I'm just using your logic... back in 2006 during the french open you
>> said Federer can achieve what Agassi had within 2 weeks time, but god
>> knows if he can reach Sampras record, hence concluded that Sampras
>> record better than Agassi... ironic huh???
>
> Good one.
>


Look, post some links to experts who count Agassi in same category as
Sampras/Fed/Laver - hell just 1 link to 1 expert will do. Can't be that
hard if you're so sure of this idea?





  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 22:41:35
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
susuteko wrote:
> On Jan 29, 6:56 pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
>> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
>> Federer we saw tonite.
>>
>> --
>> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
>> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
>> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
>> appointees.
>>
>> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41
>
> Fed can match Sampras' record in 3 days time, but god knows if he can
> ever achieve Agassi's record. I guess Agassi's record is better than
> Sampras after all.


Guess again.



   
Date: 29 Jan 2009 08:17:18
From: stephenj
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
Whisper wrote:
> susuteko wrote:
>> On Jan 29, 6:56 pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
>>> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
>>> Federer we saw tonite.
>>>
>>> --
>>> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
>>> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
>>> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
>>> appointees.
>>>
>>> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41
>>
>> Fed can match Sampras' record in 3 days time, but god knows if he can
>> ever achieve Agassi's record. I guess Agassi's record is better than
>> Sampras after all.
>
>
> Guess again.

sadly, a fed win on saturday would catch (and this diminish) one of
agassi's two main legacy achievements: "best of open era at AO".



--
.. the profiteers are a consequence not
a cause of rising prices.

- JM Keynes


  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 11:33:39
From: Dave Hazelwood
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 03:10:17 -0800 (PST), susuteko
<faizal.mmu@gmail.com > wrote:

>On Jan 29, 6:56 pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
>> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
>> Federer we saw tonite.
>>
>> --
>> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
>> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
>> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
>> appointees.
>>
>> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41
>
>Fed can match Sampras' record in 3 days time, but god knows if he can
>ever achieve Agassi's record. I guess Agassi's record is better than
>Sampras after all.


absolutely. the slam thing is just a madison avenue invention to
please americans. they have to be the best at everything you know
including killing innocent people for a crime they did not commit.


 
Date: 29 Jan 2009 11:08:53
From: Dave Hazelwood
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 04:56:17 -0600, stephenj <sjex@cox.com > wrote:

>Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
>Federer we saw tonite.


can I take that as confirmation you also agree that Verdasco will take
a giant swan dive for mother Spain ?


 
Date: 29 Jan 2009 02:58:57
From: Lax
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
Federer is moving ridiculously well. As well as 2006 and early 2007,
which is suprisingly in line with the supposed mono-timeline.


  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 11:36:12
From: kaennorsing
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On 29 jan, 20:10, "Vari L. Cinicke" <cini...@netscape.net > wrote:
> stephenj wrote:
> > Lax wrote:
> >> Federer is moving ridiculously well. =A0As well as 2006 and early 2007=
,
> >> which is suprisingly in line with the supposed mono-timeline.
>
> > yes, my gosh, he looked the like "cat" Federer from 04-07. like a
> > gazelle out there.
>
> Berdych's bombs made him look a little flatfooted. Against del Potro and
> Roddick, he knows that he is far more nimble than they could ever hope
> to be.
>
> Federer is certainly moving much better than he did in the 2008 AO, that
> is for sure.

I agree Federer is moving much better than what we saw most of last
year. I disagree with his movement to his forehand being as good as
ever though. There were a couple points in the match when Roddick hit
a dropshot/short ball and the expectation was Fed=B4s gonna eat it up
but actually butchered the shot low in the net.

I=B4ve seen a couple of those in this tournament where Fed=B4s footwork on
the forehand looked... just a tag less than ideal. Seems he=B4s just
missing that final last step - when covering the short ball - where he
set off with the right leg and instead seemed to set off with the left
(?).

Maybe he can improve that in the final since his energy levels seem
fine and in general looks pretty groovy atm.


  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 11:23:26
From: kaennorsing
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On 29 jan, 12:20, "Stapler" <d...@d.com > wrote:
> "Lax" <Lax.Cla...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:8032699b-3fe3-4782-9091-be2879fa6714@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Federer is moving ridiculously well. =A0As well as 2006 and early 2007,
> > which is suprisingly in line with the supposed mono-timeline.
>
> Movement to his right is back to top level, from all the matches I've see=
n
> so far. Only drive backhand is suspect right now.

The drive backhand did appear a lot firmer in the Potro match than the
Roddick match. Roddick doesn't generate the same speed and hits more
spinny to Fed's backhand though so Fed's forced to generate some of
his own or draw Roddick in.

I think Fed was pretty happy for this different look Any gave him
there, since it would help him in the final against the lefty spin
(master).


  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 08:16:14
From: stephenj
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
Lax wrote:
> Federer is moving ridiculously well. As well as 2006 and early 2007,
> which is suprisingly in line with the supposed mono-timeline.

yes, my gosh, he looked the like "cat" Federer from 04-07. like a
gazelle out there.



--
When the facts change,
one's opinion ought to change.

- John Maynard Keynes


   
Date: 29 Jan 2009 19:10:22
From: Vari L. Cinicke
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
stephenj wrote:
> Lax wrote:
>> Federer is moving ridiculously well. As well as 2006 and early 2007,
>> which is suprisingly in line with the supposed mono-timeline.
>
> yes, my gosh, he looked the like "cat" Federer from 04-07. like a
> gazelle out there.
>
>
>

Berdych's bombs made him look a little flatfooted. Against del Potro and
Roddick, he knows that he is far more nimble than they could ever hope
to be.

Federer is certainly moving much better than he did in the 2008 AO, that
is for sure.

--
Cheers,

vc


  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 11:20:03
From: Stapler
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
"Lax" <Lax.Clarke@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:8032699b-3fe3-4782-9091-be2879fa6714@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
> Federer is moving ridiculously well. As well as 2006 and early 2007,
> which is suprisingly in line with the supposed mono-timeline.


Movement to his right is back to top level, from all the matches I've seen
so far. Only drive backhand is suspect right now.



 
Date: 29 Jan 2009 10:59:10
From: Stapler
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
"stephenj" <sjex@cox.com > wrote in message
news:AXfgl.89042$1k1.54057@newsfe14.iad...
> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
> Federer we saw tonite.
>
>


Last 2 matches from Fed:

89 winners 24 unforced errors

SuperFed is back!



  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 06:55:03
From: Voice of Reason
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On Jan 29, 6:02=A0am, Giovanna <giovana...@bol.com.br > wrote:
> I would be more excited if Nadal was out of AO. I really do not want
> to witness another "dream final"......
>
> at the same time I would like Rogi to teach Nadal a lesson or two
> about playing on hard courts.

That roughly sums up my feeling about it as well - I want Federer to
beat Nadal but I'm not sure that's going to happen. (It's no longer
just about tennis - Nadal pretty much owns Federer's head).

But, I do want Federer to win, get back into form, and disprove the
naysayers.

Oh well, we'll see...


  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 03:02:12
From: Giovanna
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
I would be more excited if Nadal was out of AO. I really do not want
to witness another "dream final"......

at the same time I would like Rogi to teach Nadal a lesson or two
about playing on hard courts.



 
Date: 29 Jan 2009 02:58:09
From: Wayne
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On 29 Jan, 10:56, stephenj <s...@cox.com > wrote:
> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
> Federer we saw tonite.
>
> --
> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
> appointees.
>
> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41

Nadal is fav imo but only marginally.


  
Date: 29 Jan 2009 11:10:27
From: Dave Hazelwood
Subject: Re: Federer beats Roddick - one match from Sampras
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:58:09 -0800 (PST), Wayne <waynetv50@yahoo.com >
wrote:

>On 29 Jan, 10:56, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
>> Wow, what a performance ... Nadal will have to play awesome to beat the
>> Federer we saw tonite.
>>
>> --
>> the Roosevelt administration .. has used the war to justify
>> restrictions of Congressional power, and the assumption of
>> dictatorial procedures on the part of the President and his
>> appointees.
>>
>> - Charles A. Lindbergh, 9/11/41
>
>Nadal is fav imo but only marginally.


I am not sure exacly wtf you can base that on but ok you can be dumb
if you want to. Who am I to stop you ?