tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 09 Jan 2009 10:07:44
From: Dave Hazelwood
Subject: Israel's very own Concentration Camp Gaz chamber ?

International Herald Tribune
Pressure increases on Israel as toll rises
By Graham Bowley
Thursday, January 8, 2009

International pressure intensified sharply on Israel on Thursday, the
13th day of its Gaza assault, after the United Nations suspended food
aid deliveries, the International Committee of the Red Cross accused
the Israelis of knowingly blocking assistance to the injured, and a
top Vatican official defended comments in which he compared Gaza to a
concentration camp.

In New York, the United Nations Security Council appeared to be
nearing consensus on a resolution calling for an immediate cease-fire,
while in Washington, a State Department spokesman called on Israel to
expand access to emergency aid into the Gaza Strip, referring to the
humanitarian situation in the besieged Palestinian territory as
"dire."

Earlier Thursday, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, which
has been providing food assistance to 20,000 Gazans per day during the
conflict, suspended the aid after reporting that one of its contract
drivers was killed in an Israeli attack on a delivery convoy at a
border crossing.

"We are waiting for improved security guarantees for our staff from
the Israeli side," said Andrew Whitley, the agency's representative in
New York. United Nations personnel, he said, have been ordered not to
move within Gaza, effectively halting aid operations.

Israeli tanks continued rumbling through the beleaguered coastal strip
and Israeli aircraft bombarded it, halting only for the three-hour
humanitarian pause to allow Gazans to seek medical help and buy
supplies. During the lull, nearly three dozen bodies were found
beneath the rubble of bombed out buildings in Gaza City, The
Associated Press reported.

The International Committee of the Red Cross reported finding
"shocking" scenes during the first lull, on Wednesday, including four
children, weak and emaciated, next to the bodies of their mothers. In
a rare and sharply critical statement, it said it believed that "the
Israeli military failed to meet its obligation under international
humanitarian law to care for and evacuate the wounded."

Casualty figures are difficult to verify, but on Thursday the Gazan
authorities reported 758 dead, including 257 children and 56 women. On
Tuesday, Israeli shells killed some 40 people at a United Nations
school in Gaza. Israel said Hamas militants had fired mortar shells
from the school compound prior to Israel's shelling. Several thousand
people have been injured.

Israel says it has killed at least 130 Hamas fighters. Ten Israelis
have been killed during the offensive: three civilians and seven
soldiers, most of whom died in so-called friendly fire.

The worsening humanitarian situation in Gaza led Cardinal Renato
Martino, the head of the Vatican's Pontifical Council on Peace and
Justice, to comment in an online interview published Wednesday, "Look
at the conditions in Gaza: more and more, it resembles a big
concentration camp."

The cardinal defended his comments on Thursday in the center-left
daily newspaper La Repubblica, and said the situation in Gaza was
"horrific" and "against human dignity."

Israeli officials harshly condemned the cardinal's remarks. "We are
astounded that a spiritual dignitary would have such words, that are
so far removed from truth and dignity," said Yigal Palmor, a spokesman
for the Israeli Foreign Ministry.

The State Department spokesman, Robert Wood, said the three-hour lulls
Israel has agreed to allow at least every other day was not enough.
"We think the hours need to be increased," he said.

Early Thursday, rockets fired from Lebanon struck in northern Israel,
but there were no serious injuries, and neither the Israeli nor the
Lebanese government took the incident as a broadening of the conflict.

The United Nations Security Council appeared close to a resolution
calling for an immediate cease-fire by both sides and could vote on
the resolution as early as Thursday, according to Arab diplomats. The
decision was reached after a delegation of high-ranking Arab ministers
overcame the reluctance of the United States, Britain and France to
demand a cease-fire, the diplomats said.

The new resolution would specifically mention Hamas, whereas the
earlier proposed resolution put forth by Libya, a member of the
Security Council, had only referred to a cessation of firing rockets,
without specifying which side was firing them.

In Cairo, Egyptian officials said Israeli officials had begun meeting
with the head of Egyptian military intelligence, Omar Suleiman, to
explore a proposal devised by Egypt and France as what officials in
Paris called a road map to a cease-fire. There was no immediate word
on the outcome of the talks.

The United Nations aid convoy came under fire around 9 a.m., as three
forklift trucks operated by the only trucking company authorized to
carry out deliveries near the Israeli-Gaza border were collecting food
at the Erez crossing in advance of the three-hour lull. The driver
killed was identified as Bassem Quta, 32.

The trucking company, Shuhaiber, refused to continue deliveries,
according to Andrew Whitley, director of the United Nations relief
agency office in New York, so the food aid could not continue.

United Nations officials also reported that a two-vehicle convoy,
including a marked ambulance, were fired on near the Erez crossing on
Thursday.

On Monday, two aid trucks were hit by missiles from a helicopter as
the trucks were leaving a garage in Gaza City, Whitley said.

The missiles from Lebanon ? at least three ? landed near the northern
Israeli town of Nahariya, slightly injuring two Israelis, and the
Israeli army responded with fire. The rockets from Lebanon raised
concern that they could presage a second front in the conflict that
would complicate peace efforts and revive memories of the bloody war
between Israel and the militant group Hezbollah in southern Lebanon in
2006.

But the Israeli Army later dismissed the rockets on Thursday as "a
minor event" and, in Lebanon, the government said Hezbollah had
distanced itself from the attack. Prime Minister Fouad Siniora of
Lebanon immediately condemned the rocket-fire. In a statement,
Lebanese Information Minister Tarek Mitri said: "Hezbollah assured the
Lebanese government that it remains engaged in preserving the
stability in Lebanon and respects Security Council resolution 1701."

United Nations Security Council resolution 1701 laid out the terms of
the ceasefire that ended the war between Israel and Lebanon in
July/August 2006.

The Israeli Army said it "responded with fire against the source of
the rockets," which landed near the town of Nahariya. Two Israelis
were slightly wounded, the police said.

So far there has been no claim of responsibility.
Correction:
Notes:
International Herald Tribune Copyright 2009 The International Herald
Tribune




 
Date: 09 Jan 2009 11:27:56
From: Stapler
Subject: Re: Israel's very own Concentration Camp Gaz chamber ?
* snip rubbish Islamic Nazi propaganda*

Really HazelHitler, you should try a lot harder next time.


  
Date: 09 Jan 2009 04:21:01
From: Fan
Subject: Re: Israel's very own Concentration Camp Gaz chamber ?
On Jan 9, 12:27=A0pm, "Stapler" <d...@d.com > wrote:
> * snip rubbish Islamic Nazi propaganda*
>
> Really HazelHitler, you should try a lot harder next time.

The only nazi propaganda is jew nazi propaganda...