tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 16 Feb 2009 06:26:18
From:
Subject: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams
Why are you playing Davis Cup? There's no point. You've already been
DC hero once. You helped
lead your side to another title last year.

That's good enough! That's more than what Fed has done (smart guy that
he is) and he's knocking on the door of goat-hood.

Just say no. Just say no.

DC is for the second-tier players. The Roddicks and Hewitts and
whatnot. Federer, Sampras, Nadal types are in the elite group that
should only play WHEN IT SUITS THEM. Their allegiance, imo, should be
less to their country and more to the game of tennis. And tennis fans,
a lot of us anyway, want to see the greats chase records and you've
got an incredible 6 at the age of just 22. That puts you in the
company of one guy - Borg - in all of the Open Era.

Anyway, enough ranting for one day.




 
Date: 17 Feb 2009 08:23:16
From:
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams
On Feb 17, 11:02=A0am, "*skriptis" <skrip...@post.t-com.hr > wrote:
> <jasoncatlin1...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:4583e268-812f-468f-b98d-1eb4d26f328f@13g2000yql.googlegroups.com...
> On Feb 17, 9:50 am, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
>
> > Plenty of top players think Davis Cup is important and so do a lot of
> > fans. When the players become so selfish that they will no longer
> > play David Cup because it might interfere with their schedule, then
> > Davis Cup will die.
> >Davis Cup needs a major revamping. It's a great competition and
> >important to tennis, but just
> >play it once every 2 years and finish the whole thing in one week.
>
> I disagree. It's been a yearly competition ever since and should remain a=
s
> such.

For me, there are two factors that make it necessary to change the DC
format. One is the move in tennis
away from grass courts at the Slams, which made an already long season
even more grueling because of the
slower court surfaces, longer rallies, etc. And no. 2 is the greater
participation by players in AO and, to an extent FO. Ever since Edberg
and Becker's generation it's now completely commonplace for all the
top guys to play every Slam. That's a lot of 3 out of 5 matches and to
ask them to compound that even more with more 3/5 matches in DC is too
much to ask, imo.

But more important than all of that is the simple fact that Sampras,
Federer and Agassi, easily the three most accomplished players of the
last 20 years showed at best wavering commitment to it. It would seem
to me it diminishes the competition to not have those guys playing it
every time and steps should be taken to make it much more likely that
they do play.


  
Date: 17 Feb 2009 17:36:22
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams
jasoncatlin1971@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 17, 11:02 am, "*skriptis" <skrip...@post.t-com.hr> wrote:
>> <jasoncatlin1...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:4583e268-812f-468f-b98d-1eb4d26f328f@13g2000yql.googlegroups.com...
>> On Feb 17, 9:50 am, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Plenty of top players think Davis Cup is important and so do a lot
>>> of fans. When the players become so selfish that they will no longer
>>> play David Cup because it might interfere with their schedule, then
>>> Davis Cup will die.
>>> Davis Cup needs a major revamping. It's a great competition and
>>> important to tennis, but just
>>> play it once every 2 years and finish the whole thing in one week.
>>
>> I disagree. It's been a yearly competition ever since and should
>> remain as such.
>
> For me, there are two factors that make it necessary to change the DC
> format. One is the move in tennis
> away from grass courts at the Slams, which made an already long season
> even more grueling because of the
> slower court surfaces, longer rallies, etc. And no. 2 is the greater
> participation by players in AO and, to an extent FO. Ever since Edberg
> and Becker's generation it's now completely commonplace for all the
> top guys to play every Slam. That's a lot of 3 out of 5 matches and to
> ask them to compound that even more with more 3/5 matches in DC is too
> much to ask, imo.
>
> But more important than all of that is the simple fact that Sampras,
> Federer and Agassi, easily the three most accomplished players of the
> last 20 years showed at best wavering commitment to it. It would seem
> to me it diminishes the competition to not have those guys playing it
> every time and steps should be taken to make it much more likely that
> they do play.



We all agree there is a problem with scheduling and participation.
However it's not certain that playing DC every two years would solve those
problems.

And it would ruin the whole concept ie would not be in accordance with Davis
Cup history imo.




 
Date: 17 Feb 2009 07:56:17
From:
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams
On Feb 17, 10:54=A0am, Patrick Kehoe <pke...@telus.net > wrote:
> On Feb 17, 7:21=A0am, Aranci...@selin.com wrote:
>
> > On Feb 17, 9:50=A0am, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm looking for a guy to win a major in his mid-thirties. =A0To me
> > > that's a far more compelling goal.
>
> > Agreed.....
>
> ++ yep... who will be the 21st Century Ken Rosewald+
>
> P

Well, we had Agassi. Won the AO at 32 and made the USO final at age
35.

That's not good enough?


 
Date: 17 Feb 2009 07:54:11
From: Patrick Kehoe
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams
On Feb 17, 7:21=A0am, Aranci...@selin.com wrote:
> On Feb 17, 9:50=A0am, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a guy to win a major in his mid-thirties. =A0To me
> > that's a far more compelling goal.
>
> Agreed.....

++ yep... who will be the 21st Century Ken Rosewald+


P


 
Date: 17 Feb 2009 07:21:43
From:
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams
On Feb 17, 9:50=A0am, drew <d...@technologist.com > wrote:


> I'm looking for a guy to win a major in his mid-thirties. =A0To me
> that's a far more compelling goal.
>


Agreed.....


 
Date: 17 Feb 2009 07:19:30
From:
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams
On Feb 17, 9:50=A0am, drew <d...@technologist.com > wrote:

> Plenty of top players think Davis Cup is important and so do a lot of
> fans. =A0When the players become so selfish that they will no longer
> play David Cup because it might interfere with their schedule, then
> Davis Cup will die.

Davis Cup needs a major revamping. It's a great competition and
important to tennis, but just
play it once every 2 years and finish the whole thing in one week.
Like the Ryder Cup. There's too much wear and tear on these players'
bodies
as it is, without a guy like Nadal, who's going deep in every
tournament, feeling he has to then go play more 3 out
of 5 set matches for his country 3 or 4 times a year.

> =A0The Roddicks and Hewitts and
>
> > whatnot. Federer, Sampras, Nadal types are in the elite group that
> > should only play WHEN IT SUITS THEM.
>
> And it suits him so he plays.

It won't suit him if tendonitis in his knees from too much play forces
him to miss Wimbledon or the USO.


> =A0Their allegiance, imo, should be
>
> > less to their country and more to the game of tennis.
>
> In his opinion, he wants to play Davis Cup. =A0That's no less 'the game
> of tennis' than any other event.

Sure, it's tennis. But for me tennis is best as an individual pursuit.
It's selfish I know but
that's what I like about it in a way. There's a No. 1 player and no
one can say he's only No. 1
or only wins a tournament because he has a good team around him or
whatever. Just my personal preference and maybe Nadal is much more
into the team thing.

> =A0And tennis fans,
>
> > a lot of us anyway, want to see the greats chase records and you've
> > got an incredible 6 at the age of just 22.
>
> I'll admit there are a lot of fools for whom chasing records is the
> only goal and the only reason they watch the game. =A0To hell with
> quality, just give me a guy gunning for a stat.


You can call us fools, but just as Davis Cup can be great for tennis,
a *guy chasing a stat*
can be great for tennis. Look at what McGwire and Sosa did for
baseball in the late 90s. And anyway,
anyone who can chase the really big stats like most Slam titles will
have plenty of *quality*. We don't have
to worry about that.

> > company of one guy - Borg - in all of the Open Era.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if the guys coming up surpass this early goal
> at younger ages. =A0Federer didn't start to win majors very early on.
> Nadal did but he's only now reaching a level where he can rack them up
> quickly. =A0If an all surface player pops up at 18 and starts winning
> majors immediately, there's no reason he couldn't have 6-8 majors by
> the age of 21.

Yes, it's more possible now because everyone's playing all the majors.
For me that's even
more of a reason for the top guys to stay away from Davis Cup. The top
players need to force the tennis bigs to
alter the format. And the only way to do that is to not commit to the
competition until necessary changes
are made.



  
Date: 17 Feb 2009 17:02:44
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams

<jasoncatlin1971@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:4583e268-812f-468f-b98d-1eb4d26f328f@13g2000yql.googlegroups.com...
On Feb 17, 9:50 am, drew <d...@technologist.com > wrote:

> Plenty of top players think Davis Cup is important and so do a lot of
> fans. When the players become so selfish that they will no longer
> play David Cup because it might interfere with their schedule, then
> Davis Cup will die.

>Davis Cup needs a major revamping. It's a great competition and
>important to tennis, but just
>play it once every 2 years and finish the whole thing in one week.


I disagree. It's been a yearly competition ever since and should remain as
such.




 
Date: 17 Feb 2009 06:50:33
From: drew
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams
On Feb 16, 9:26 am, jasoncatlin1...@gmail.com wrote:
> Why are you playing Davis Cup? There's no point. You've already been
> DC hero once. You helped
> lead your side to another title last year.
>
> That's good enough! That's more than what Fed has done (smart guy that
> he is) and he's knocking on the door of goat-hood.
>
> Just say no. Just say no.
>
> DC is for the second-tier players.

Plenty of top players think Davis Cup is important and so do a lot of
fans. When the players become so selfish that they will no longer
play David Cup because it might interfere with their schedule, then
Davis Cup will die.


The Roddicks and Hewitts and
> whatnot. Federer, Sampras, Nadal types are in the elite group that
> should only play WHEN IT SUITS THEM.


And it suits him so he plays.


Their allegiance, imo, should be
> less to their country and more to the game of tennis.

In his opinion, he wants to play Davis Cup. That's no less 'the game
of tennis' than any other event.



And tennis fans,
> a lot of us anyway, want to see the greats chase records and you've
> got an incredible 6 at the age of just 22.


I'll admit there are a lot of fools for whom chasing records is the
only goal and the only reason they watch the game. To hell with
quality, just give me a guy gunning for a stat.


That puts you in the
> company of one guy - Borg - in all of the Open Era.

It wouldn't surprise me if the guys coming up surpass this early goal
at younger ages. Federer didn't start to win majors very early on.
Nadal did but he's only now reaching a level where he can rack them up
quickly. If an all surface player pops up at 18 and starts winning
majors immediately, there's no reason he couldn't have 6-8 majors by
the age of 21.

I'm looking for a guy to win a major in his mid-thirties. To me
that's a far more compelling goal.

>
> Anyway, enough ranting for one day.



 
Date: 16 Feb 2009 15:30:31
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Rafa my man: It's all about the Slams

<jasoncatlin1971@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:37849c27-82f6-4f38-805e-d9ad27529d81@j38g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
> Why are you playing Davis Cup? There's no point. You've already been
> DC hero once. You helped
> lead your side to another title last year.
>
> That's good enough! That's more than what Fed has done (smart guy that
> he is) and he's knocking on the door of goat-hood.
>
> Just say no. Just say no.
>
> DC is for the second-tier players. The Roddicks and Hewitts and
> whatnot. Federer, Sampras, Nadal types are in the elite group that
> should only play WHEN IT SUITS THEM. Their allegiance, imo, should be
> less to their country and more to the game of tennis. And tennis fans,
> a lot of us anyway, want to see the greats chase records and you've
> got an incredible 6 at the age of just 22. That puts you in the
> company of one guy - Borg - in all of the Open Era.
>
> Anyway, enough ranting for one day.


email it to him, his official page