tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 11 Feb 2009 15:51:20
From: Petter Solbu
Subject: Ranking rules
Do you have to count the points from a Masters event in your rankings if
you participate in it?

PS.




 
Date: 11 Feb 2009 12:53:08
From: robin
Subject: Re: Ranking rules
On 11 Feb, 14:51, Petter Solbu <pettermann1...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> Do you have to count the points from a Masters event in your rankings if
> you participate in it?
>
> PS.

Why would you not want to?

If you don't participate you get a 0, so points for participating can
never be worse.


  
Date: 12 Feb 2009 00:21:52
From: Petter Solbu
Subject: Re: Ranking rules
robin wrote:
> On 11 Feb, 14:51, Petter Solbu <pettermann1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you have to count the points from a Masters event in your rankings if
>> you participate in it?
>>
>> PS.
>
> Why would you not want to?
>
> If you don't participate you get a 0, so points for participating can
> never be worse.

Not if you are outside top 30. You obviously don't get 0 points if you
don't get the chance to participate in the tournament, but players
inside top 30 do. So I wondered if players outside top 30 had to count
the points from these Masters events if they participated. I guess many
players have better results from other tournaments to supplement their
rankings and therefore that will be beneficial for them.

PS.


   
Date: 12 Feb 2009 05:52:31
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Ranking rules

"Petter Solbu" <pettermann1984@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:CqadnQhdWrkPwA7U4p2dnAA@telenor.com...
> robin wrote:
>> On 11 Feb, 14:51, Petter Solbu <pettermann1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Do you have to count the points from a Masters event in your rankings if
>>> you participate in it?
>>>
>>> PS.
>>
>> Why would you not want to?
>>
>> If you don't participate you get a 0, so points for participating can
>> never be worse.
>
> Not if you are outside top 30. You obviously don't get 0 points if you
> don't get the chance to participate in the tournament, but players inside
> top 30 do. So I wondered if players outside top 30 had to count the points
> from these Masters events if they participated. I guess many players have
> better results from other tournaments to supplement their rankings and
> therefore that will be beneficial for them.


If you're top 30 you are required to play every MS and they count.

If you're outside top 30, every time you qualify or simply play a MS
tournament, those pts also count. Those points always have priority, even if
your ranking enabled you to play only eg 3 MS last year. But those 3 count
then. In addition then, you have option to count not only 5 best results as
usual, but also 6 more, for missing 6 MS(or slams) I believe.


I see your point, what makes you confused. For example, Del Potro'r ranking
is inflated. The whole 2008 he was ranked low and didn't qualify for most of
MS events. In summer 2008 he won copule of tune-ups which propelled him.

otoh, Cilic, who is of same age, played all MS events last year, but with
llittle succes. Had he also, like Del Potro, won bunch of tune-up late in
the season, he'd be ranked *lower* than waS/is Del Potro because Cilic could
count only on best 5 MS/slams results. Del Potro played fewer of them so he
could count on much more.







    
Date: 12 Feb 2009 05:53:30
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Ranking rules

"*skriptis" <skriptis@post.t-com.hr > wrote in message
news:gn09g2$bia$1@ss408.t-com.hr...
>
> "Petter Solbu" <pettermann1984@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:CqadnQhdWrkPwA7U4p2dnAA@telenor.com...
>> robin wrote:
>>> On 11 Feb, 14:51, Petter Solbu <pettermann1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Do you have to count the points from a Masters event in your rankings
>>>> if
>>>> you participate in it?
>>>>
>>>> PS.
>>>
>>> Why would you not want to?
>>>
>>> If you don't participate you get a 0, so points for participating can
>>> never be worse.
>>
>> Not if you are outside top 30. You obviously don't get 0 points if you
>> don't get the chance to participate in the tournament, but players inside
>> top 30 do. So I wondered if players outside top 30 had to count the
>> points from these Masters events if they participated. I guess many
>> players have better results from other tournaments to supplement their
>> rankings and therefore that will be beneficial for them.
>
>
> If you're top 30 you are required to play every MS and they count.
>
> If you're outside top 30, every time you qualify or simply play a MS
> tournament, those pts also count. Those points always have priority, even
> if your ranking enabled you to play only eg 3 MS last year. But those 3
> count then. In addition then, you have option to count not only 5 best
> results as usual, but also 6 more, for missing 6 MS(or slams) I believe.
>
>
> I see your point, what makes you confused. For example, Del Potro'r
> ranking is inflated. The whole 2008 he was ranked low and didn't qualify
> for most of MS events. In summer 2008 he won copule of tune-ups which
> propelled him.
>
> otoh, Cilic, who is of same age, played all MS events last year, but with
> llittle succes. Had he also, like Del Potro, won bunch of tune-up late in
> the season, he'd be ranked *lower* than waS/is Del Potro because Cilic
> could count only on best 5 MS/slams results. Del Potro played fewer of
> them so he could count on much more.

Forgot the links:

Del Potro
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/pointsbreakdown.asp?player=D683

Cilic
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/pointsbreakdown.asp?player=C977




 
Date: 11 Feb 2009 16:02:33
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Ranking rules

"Petter Solbu" <pettermann1984@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:dqudnfXRY6F0eA_U4p2dnAA@telenor.com...
> Do you have to count the points from a Masters event in your rankings if
> you participate in it?


yes