tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 05 Jan 2009 10:56:55
From: Tio Pedro
Subject: Statistics and points
Stats realy don't say anything
According to the stats below Player B should have won the match but B lost
the match
I still can't understand that a player who made the most points losses the
match

Match stats:
Player A Player B
1st serv 45% 56%
2nd serv 47% 53%
Total Serv Points Won 55% 56%
Total Return Points Won 44% 45%
Total Points won 131 132

An Idea to change tennis point counting into
4 set of 60 point with each player to have 30 serves
that makes a total of 240 points to play
if at the end they both have 120 points they'll have to play an extra time
like a tie-break
Like this the player who made the most points win the match

This counting system also prevents that a player dont go for a point at the
end of a set if he is ex. 10 ponts down lik we se now that at he end of the
second set a player who's 4-0 or 5-0 down don't play fully in the last game
and thinks already at the next set to come

To avoid super power tennis they can count 1 point for an ace and 2 points
for a "field" point

What do you tennisfans think about this idea

--
Tío Pedro
www.womentennis.be






 
Date: 05 Jan 2009 09:16:50
From: Javier Gonzalez
Subject: Re: Statistics and points
Tio Pedro <tiopedro48@gmail.com > wrote:
> Stats realy don't say anything
> According to the stats below Player B should have won the match but B lost
> the match
> I still can't understand that a player who made the most points losses the
> match

It's very simple actually. Say, Tio Pedro beats Sobrino Luis 0-6, 0-6, 7-6(5),
7-6(5), 7-6(5). It's very likely that Luis won more points than Pedro, but, as
DavidW pointed out, he lost the key points. Scoring two bagels on sets 1 and 2
meant squat when he failed to come up with the goods on the three tiebreakers
of sets 3-4-5.


  
Date: 05 Jan 2009 15:35:53
From: Tio Pedro
Subject: Re: Statistics and points

"Javier Gonzalez" <ja.gon.zal@gmmmmail.com > schreef in bericht
news:iaa936-fk5.ln1@despair.pu239.ru...
> Tio Pedro <tiopedro48@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Stats realy don't say anything
>> According to the stats below Player B should have won the match but B
>> lost
>> the match
>> I still can't understand that a player who made the most points losses
>> the
>> match
>
> It's very simple actually. Say, Tio Pedro beats Sobrino Luis 0-6, 0-6,
> 7-6(5),
> 7-6(5), 7-6(5). It's very likely that Luis won more points than Pedro,
> but, as
> DavidW pointed out, he lost the key points. Scoring two bagels on sets 1
> and 2
> meant squat when he failed to come up with the goods on the three
> tiebreakers
> of sets 3-4-5.

Understand that its all about the crucial points, As the game now is played
you don't have to go 100% for each point only for the crucial points, good
servers can content themselves to win there serve-games until 4-4 or 5-5 and
than try to make break, if there was a added points system they have to go
all the way for 100% because each point than is important
As DavidW said
>>Do we really have to sit through 40+ more points when it's 80-47?
why not it could you have to sit through a other 110 or even more points.
Now we sit sometimes trough a 6-0 6-1 6-1 do you think that's nice to watch
ofcourse the best of 240 is a lot, its like a 7-6(5),6-7(5),6-7(5) thats
most likely a +3 hours game.

In other sports example basketball there is 4 quarters
and there quarter results are added so the team with the most points always
win, in tennis not always.
Just supose that the Bull beat Pistons 76 to 90 like this :
Pistons 32 23 14 21 90
Bulls 15 24 15 22 76
What a laugh isn't, nevertheless tennis matches are calculated that way


--
Tío Pedro
www.womentennis.be



 
Date: 05 Jan 2009 21:25:58
From: DavidW
Subject: Re: Statistics and points
Tio Pedro wrote:
> Stats realy don't say anything
> According to the stats below Player B should have won the match but B
> lost the match
> I still can't understand that a player who made the most points
> losses the match

It's very simple. He wins too many of his points at the wrong times.

> Match stats:
> Player A
> Player B 1st serv 45%
> 56% 2nd serv 47%
> 53%
> Total Serv Points Won 55% 56%
> Total Return Points Won 44% 45%
> Total Points won 131 132
>
> An Idea to change tennis point counting into
> 4 set of 60 point with each player to have 30 serves
> that makes a total of 240 points to play
> if at the end they both have 120 points they'll have to play an extra
> time like a tie-break

So is it sets or points that determine the winner?

> Like this the player who made the most points win the match

I guess that answers my question. Why have four sets if it just comes down to
the points totals?

> This counting system also prevents that a player dont go for a point
> at the end of a set if he is ex. 10 ponts down lik we se now that at
> he end of the second set a player who's 4-0 or 5-0 down don't play
> fully in the last game and thinks already at the next set to come
>
> To avoid super power tennis they can count 1 point for an ace and 2
> points for a "field" point

You don't get the game at all, do you? There's so much wrong with this that I
don't know where to begin. For starters, what you are proposing is effectively
a single game that ends when one player reaches 120 instead of...uh...4. No one
wants to watch that. Do we really have to sit through 40+ more points when it's
80-47? Then there's the number of important points under each system, the
possibility (or lack of) a player to come back when he's well down, the
excitement (or lack of) for the spectators, etc. Everything about it adds up to
a game that no one would want to watch.

> What do you tennisfans think about this idea

It's terrible, awful and really bad. Is this what the off-season has descended
to?





  
Date: 05 Jan 2009 23:24:53
From: Sakari Lund
Subject: Re: Statistics and points
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 21:25:58 +1100, "DavidW" <no@email.provided > wrote:

>It's terrible, awful and really bad. Is this what the off-season has descended
>to?

The season is on (or however that should be said).