tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 21 Jan 2009 12:12:34
From: Fred Goodwin
Subject: Top ten all-time matches?
I know these things are very subjective, but my son (JV on his HS team
as a freshman and a huge tennis fan) wants to compile a set of DVDs
with the greatest matches of all-time.

For Christmas, I gave him the 2007 US Open quarterfinal, Roger Federer
vs Andy Roddick, which has been on his wish-list (other than the fact
that Roddick is my son's favorite player, what is so special about
this match?).

For his birthday last week, we gave him the 2008 Wimbledon Final,
where Rafael Nadal finally beat Federer.

He's also asked for a copy of the 2001 US Open quarterfinal match
between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in which apparently neither
player ever broke the other's serve. I have that one on order.

So, if you were putting together a collection of the greatest matches
of all-time, which ones would you include? A recent SI article
mentioned these two:

1980 Wimbledon (Final?) Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe
1982 (?) Davis Cup (round?) Mats Wilander v John McEnroe

Any others on your list of all-time favorites? If you have
suggestions, could you also mention why you selected it?

Thanx in advance.




 
Date: 24 Jan 2009 02:07:02
From: Calimero
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On Jan 21, 9:12=A0pm, Fred Goodwin <fgood...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> I know these things are very subjective, but my son (JV on his HS team
> as a freshman and a huge tennis fan) wants to compile a set of DVDs
> with the greatest matches of all-time.
>
> For Christmas, I gave him the 2007 US Open quarterfinal, Roger Federer
> vs Andy Roddick, which has been on his wish-list (other than the fact
> that Roddick is my son's favorite player, what is so special about
> this match?).
>
> For his birthday last week, we gave him the 2008 Wimbledon Final,
> where Rafael Nadal finally beat Federer.
>
> He's also asked for a copy of the 2001 US Open quarterfinal match
> between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in which apparently neither
> player ever broke the other's serve. =A0I have that one on order.
>
> So, if you were putting together a collection of the greatest matches
> of all-time, which ones would you include? =A0A recent SI article
> mentioned these two:
>
> 1980 Wimbledon (Final?) Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe
> 1982 (?) Davis Cup (round?) Mats Wilander v John McEnroe
>
> Any others on your list of all-time favorites? =A0If you have
> suggestions, could you also mention why you selected it?
>
> Thanx in advance.


Navratilova - Graf (USO 86)
Graf - Navratilova (Wim 88)
Seles - Graf (FO 92)
Graf - Seles (Wim 92)
Graf - Novotna (Wim 93)
Graf - Sanchez (Wim 95)
Graf - Seles (USO 95)
Graf - Sanchez (FO 96)
Graf - Hingis (FO 99)
Graf - V. Williams (Wim 99)


Max


  
Date: 24 Jan 2009 21:36:55
From: DavidW
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
Calimero wrote:
> On Jan 21, 9:12 pm, Fred Goodwin <fgood...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I know these things are very subjective, but my son (JV on his HS
>> team as a freshman and a huge tennis fan) wants to compile a set of
>> DVDs with the greatest matches of all-time.
>>
>> For Christmas, I gave him the 2007 US Open quarterfinal, Roger
>> Federer vs Andy Roddick, which has been on his wish-list (other than
>> the fact that Roddick is my son's favorite player, what is so
>> special about this match?).
>>
>> For his birthday last week, we gave him the 2008 Wimbledon Final,
>> where Rafael Nadal finally beat Federer.
>>
>> He's also asked for a copy of the 2001 US Open quarterfinal match
>> between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in which apparently neither
>> player ever broke the other's serve. I have that one on order.
>>
>> So, if you were putting together a collection of the greatest matches
>> of all-time, which ones would you include? A recent SI article
>> mentioned these two:
>>
>> 1980 Wimbledon (Final?) Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe
>> 1982 (?) Davis Cup (round?) Mats Wilander v John McEnroe
>>
>> Any others on your list of all-time favorites? If you have
>> suggestions, could you also mention why you selected it?
>>
>> Thanx in advance.
>
>
> Navratilova - Graf (USO 86)
> Graf - Navratilova (Wim 88)
> Seles - Graf (FO 92)
> Graf - Seles (Wim 92)
> Graf - Novotna (Wim 93)
> Graf - Sanchez (Wim 95)
> Graf - Seles (USO 95)
> Graf - Sanchez (FO 96)
> Graf - Hingis (FO 99)
> Graf - V. Williams (Wim 99)

You couldn't fit in Graf - Sukova (AO 94)?





 
Date: 23 Jan 2009 22:43:33
From: Fred Goodwin
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On Jan 21, 3:07=A0pm, Joe Ramirez <josephmrami...@netzero.com > wrote:
>
> Note to OP: The conventional understanding of "great match" includes
> the following:
> 1. A very high level of play from both players
> 2. A very close result
> 3. High stakes
>
> If that is how you and your son understand the term, then you should
> avoid one-sided matches that showcase a spectacular performance by one
> player. I've flagged some of those in Whisper's list. On the other
> hand, if you *want* to view matches in which superb skills were on
> display but there was no drama, then check those out. They are most
> enjoyable when you really like the winning player. :) =A0Other people
> may have other suggestions for such high-class routs if they know
> that's what you are looking for.

Thanx, I believe he's looking for the close, competitive matches, high
stakes matches.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

Now he's getting interested in the greatest rivalries of all-time.
He's mentioned Federer-Nadal and Sampras-Agassi.


 
Date: 22 Jan 2009 00:11:11
From: topspin
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On 21 Jan, 22:57, topspin <goolagong...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On 21 Jan, 20:25, Fred Goodwin <fgood...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Jan 21, 2:21=A0pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Top-ten all-time matches is a subjective thing, as it may well depend
> > > on what you (or your son) want to see. For example, if the draw is
> > > baseline shot-making, then you'd probably be more interested in the
> > > tennis matches of the last 15 years or so, despite the fact that mayb=
e
> > > some of the bigger names in tennis history (McEnroe, Borg, Edberg,
> > > etc...) would not feature an appearance. If you're interested in
> > > variety of game, you're better off considering the matches of the 80'=
s
> > > and perhaps early 90's. If you're looking for drama, you could pick
> > > and choose from any era that's on film, and would be interested in th=
e
> > > matches you mentioned above, as well as Safin d. Federer @ AO 2005,
> > > Nadal and Federer's 2007 Wimbledon final, and so on.
>
> > Thanx for your comments. =A0My son doesn't really have a "style" so I'm
> > not sure exactly what he's looking for. =A0But I will certainly look fo=
r
> > the two matches you suggested.
>
> Two other obvious matches, given your son's interest in Roddick are
>
> Roddick v El-Aynaoui AO 2003
> Roddick v Gasquet Wimbledon 2007
>
> maybe not the greatest technical play, but great heart and excitement.
>
> also, given he is American
>
> Sampras v Corretja AO 1996 (intensely dramatic)
>
> An older match I would put right up there is
>
> Ashe v Connors Wimbledon 1975 (the greatest example of tactical
> execution)
>
> And finally, for the women
>
> Court v King Wimbledon 1970.
>
> The trouble with the old matches is the visual quality.
>
> PS Ivanisevic v Rafter Wimbledon 2001 is another one to consider.

Some other matches...

McEnroe v Lendl French Open 1984 (McEnroe coming within a whisker of
serve&volleying to a slam on clay, and winning the Grand Slam)

Gaudio v Coria French Open 2004 (very close and dramatic, and looong!)

Graf v Seles USO 1995 (Have to have one of their matches. Seles coming
back from her layoff and tearing through everything, just falling
short against her arch-rival)

Borg vs Gerulaitis 1977 Wimbledon semifinal & Gonzales vs Pasarell
Wimbledon 1969 (historic, but they look a bit old-fashioned now, and
the playing seems quaint. If you are going for an old match I would
agree with the Laver v Rosewall match quoted elsewhere).


 
Date: 21 Jan 2009 20:25:34
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On Jan 21, 9:26=A0pm, "Ted S." <tedsten...@myrealbox.com > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:57:46 -0800 (PST), topspin wrote:
> > And finally, for the women
>
> > Court v King Wimbledon 1970.
>
> I'd suggest ASV v. Graf, FO 1989; or
> Lori McNeil v. Graf, Wimbledon 1994
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Ted Schuerzinger
> tedstennis at myrealbox dot com
> If you're afraid of the ball, don't sit in the front row. --Anastasia
> Rodionova

not funny



 
Date: 21 Jan 2009 15:17:51
From:
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
> An older match I would put right up there is
>
> Ashe v Connors Wimbledon 1975 (the greatest example of tactical
> execution)

Some other Connors matches:

Connors v Borg Wimbledon 1981 SF (Jimbo blitzed the first two sets
before Borg came back)
Connors v McEnroe Wimbledon 1982 F
Connors v Pernfors Wimbledon 1987 (1-6 1-6 1-4 down and won)
Connors v Krickstein USO 1991 (7-6 in the fifth on Connors' 39th
birthday) - amazing performance




 
Date: 21 Jan 2009 14:57:46
From: topspin
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On 21 Jan, 20:25, Fred Goodwin <fgood...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2:21=A0pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Top-ten all-time matches is a subjective thing, as it may well depend
> > on what you (or your son) want to see. For example, if the draw is
> > baseline shot-making, then you'd probably be more interested in the
> > tennis matches of the last 15 years or so, despite the fact that maybe
> > some of the bigger names in tennis history (McEnroe, Borg, Edberg,
> > etc...) would not feature an appearance. If you're interested in
> > variety of game, you're better off considering the matches of the 80's
> > and perhaps early 90's. If you're looking for drama, you could pick
> > and choose from any era that's on film, and would be interested in the
> > matches you mentioned above, as well as Safin d. Federer @ AO 2005,
> > Nadal and Federer's 2007 Wimbledon final, and so on.
>
> Thanx for your comments. =A0My son doesn't really have a "style" so I'm
> not sure exactly what he's looking for. =A0But I will certainly look for
> the two matches you suggested.

Two other obvious matches, given your son's interest in Roddick are

Roddick v El-Aynaoui AO 2003
Roddick v Gasquet Wimbledon 2007

maybe not the greatest technical play, but great heart and excitement.

also, given he is American

Sampras v Corretja AO 1996 (intensely dramatic)

An older match I would put right up there is

Ashe v Connors Wimbledon 1975 (the greatest example of tactical
execution)

And finally, for the women

Court v King Wimbledon 1970.

The trouble with the old matches is the visual quality.

PS Ivanisevic v Rafter Wimbledon 2001 is another one to consider.


  
Date: 21 Jan 2009 22:26:28
From: Ted S.
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:57:46 -0800 (PST), topspin wrote:

> And finally, for the women
>
> Court v King Wimbledon 1970.

I'd suggest ASV v. Graf, FO 1989; or
Lori McNeil v. Graf, Wimbledon 1994

:-)

--
Ted Schuerzinger
tedstennis at myrealbox dot com
If you're afraid of the ball, don't sit in the front row. --Anastasia
Rodionova


 
Date: 21 Jan 2009 16:15:37
From: LN
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
Fred Goodwin wrote:
> I know these things are very subjective, but my son (JV on his HS team
> as a freshman and a huge tennis fan) wants to compile a set of DVDs
> with the greatest matches of all-time.
>
> For Christmas, I gave him the 2007 US Open quarterfinal, Roger Federer
> vs Andy Roddick, which has been on his wish-list (other than the fact
> that Roddick is my son's favorite player, what is so special about
> this match?).
>
> For his birthday last week, we gave him the 2008 Wimbledon Final,
> where Rafael Nadal finally beat Federer.
>
> He's also asked for a copy of the 2001 US Open quarterfinal match
> between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in which apparently neither
> player ever broke the other's serve. I have that one on order.
>
> So, if you were putting together a collection of the greatest matches
> of all-time, which ones would you include? A recent SI article
> mentioned these two:
>
> 1980 Wimbledon (Final?) Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe
> 1982 (?) Davis Cup (round?) Mats Wilander v John McEnroe
>
> Any others on your list of all-time favorites? If you have
> suggestions, could you also mention why you selected it?
>
> Thanx in advance.

1972 WCT Final: Rosewall over Laver

LNC


 
Date: 21 Jan 2009 13:07:50
From: Joe Ramirez
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On Jan 21, 3:48=A0pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au > wrote:
> Fred Goodwin wrote:
> > I know these things are very subjective, but my son (JV on his HS team
> > as a freshman and a huge tennis fan) wants to compile a set of DVDs
> > with the greatest matches of all-time.
>
> > For Christmas, I gave him the 2007 US Open quarterfinal, Roger Federer
> > vs Andy Roddick, which has been on his wish-list (other than the fact
> > that Roddick is my son's favorite player, what is so special about
> > this match?).
>
> > For his birthday last week, we gave him the 2008 Wimbledon Final,
> > where Rafael Nadal finally beat Federer.
>
> > He's also asked for a copy of the 2001 US Open quarterfinal match
> > between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in which apparently neither
> > player ever broke the other's serve. =A0I have that one on order.
>
> > So, if you were putting together a collection of the greatest matches
> > of all-time, which ones would you include? =A0A recent SI article
> > mentioned these two:
>
> > 1980 Wimbledon (Final?) Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe
> > 1982 (?) Davis Cup (round?) Mats Wilander v John McEnroe
>
> > Any others on your list of all-time favorites? =A0If you have
> > suggestions, could you also mention why you selected it?
>
> > Thanx in advance.
>
> 1999 Wimbledon Sampras v Agassi - extremely high level from both players
> - tough to beat if you're looking for 2 greats going full tilt.

Not a great match -- Sampras won easily in straights.
>
> 1984 Wimbledon McEnroe v Connors - Mac at his magical best.

Not a great match -- Connors was slaughtered.

> 1990 USO Sampras v Agassi - no explanation required.

Not a great match -- Sampras won easily in straights.
>
> 1992 AO McEnroe d Emilio Sanchez - great stuff.

OK, but might be hard to find, since it was an early-rounder.

> 1996 YEC Sampras v Becker - 2 greats close to peak.

This one is justly famous.
>
> 2003 USO Henin v Capriati - tough to find a better women's match.

I agree on this one as well -- amazingly hard-fought.

Note to OP: The conventional understanding of "great match" includes
the following:
1. A very high level of play from both players
2. A very close result
3. High stakes

If that is how you and your son understand the term, then you should
avoid one-sided matches that showcase a spectacular performance by one
player. I've flagged some of those in Whisper's list. On the other
hand, if you *want* to view matches in which superb skills were on
display but there was no drama, then check those out. They are most
enjoyable when you really like the winning player. :) Other people
may have other suggestions for such high-class routs if they know
that's what you are looking for.

Joe Ramirez


  
Date: 21 Jan 2009 23:37:02
From: TT
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
Joe Ramirez wrote:
> On Jan 21, 3:48 pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>> Fred Goodwin wrote:
>>> I know these things are very subjective, but my son (JV on his HS team
>>> as a freshman and a huge tennis fan) wants to compile a set of DVDs
>>> with the greatest matches of all-time.
>>> For Christmas, I gave him the 2007 US Open quarterfinal, Roger Federer
>>> vs Andy Roddick, which has been on his wish-list (other than the fact
>>> that Roddick is my son's favorite player, what is so special about
>>> this match?).
>>> For his birthday last week, we gave him the 2008 Wimbledon Final,
>>> where Rafael Nadal finally beat Federer.
>>> He's also asked for a copy of the 2001 US Open quarterfinal match
>>> between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in which apparently neither
>>> player ever broke the other's serve. I have that one on order.
>>> So, if you were putting together a collection of the greatest matches
>>> of all-time, which ones would you include? A recent SI article
>>> mentioned these two:
>>> 1980 Wimbledon (Final?) Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe
>>> 1982 (?) Davis Cup (round?) Mats Wilander v John McEnroe
>>> Any others on your list of all-time favorites? If you have
>>> suggestions, could you also mention why you selected it?
>>> Thanx in advance.
>> 1999 Wimbledon Sampras v Agassi - extremely high level from both players
>> - tough to beat if you're looking for 2 greats going full tilt.
>
> Not a great match -- Sampras won easily in straights.
>> 1984 Wimbledon McEnroe v Connors - Mac at his magical best.
>
> Not a great match -- Connors was slaughtered.
>
>> 1990 USO Sampras v Agassi - no explanation required.
>
> Not a great match -- Sampras won easily in straights.
>> 1992 AO McEnroe d Emilio Sanchez - great stuff.
>
> OK, but might be hard to find, since it was an early-rounder.
>
>> 1996 YEC Sampras v Becker - 2 greats close to peak.
>
> This one is justly famous.
>> 2003 USO Henin v Capriati - tough to find a better women's match.
>
> I agree on this one as well -- amazingly hard-fought.
>
> Note to OP: The conventional understanding of "great match" includes
> the following:
> 1. A very high level of play from both players
> 2. A very close result
> 3. High stakes
>
> If that is how you and your son understand the term, then you should
> avoid one-sided matches that showcase a spectacular performance by one
> player. I've flagged some of those in Whisper's list. On the other
> hand, if you *want* to view matches in which superb skills were on
> display but there was no drama, then check those out. They are most
> enjoyable when you really like the winning player. :) Other people
> may have other suggestions for such high-class routs if they know
> that's what you are looking for.
>
> Joe Ramirez

Nadal vs Federer French Open final 2008. Beating doesn't get worse than
that...and with extremely high stakes.

--
"Now I have so many dreams to chase - the French Open, an Olympic
singles gold medal in London in 2012, the Davis Cup for Switzerland"


 
Date: 21 Jan 2009 13:04:22
From: GOAT
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?

>
> 2003 USO Henin v Capriati - tough to find a better women's match.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Yep that is one of my personal faves. Disappointed to see Jen (one of
my fave women players) lose despite being 2 points from victory about
15 times, but you gotta hand it to Henin for her guts.


  
Date: 22 Jan 2009 08:08:23
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
GOAT wrote:
>> 2003 USO Henin v Capriati - tough to find a better women's match.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
> Yep that is one of my personal faves. Disappointed to see Jen (one of
> my fave women players) lose despite being 2 points from victory about
> 15 times, but you gotta hand it to Henin for her guts.


Both were ripping the ball for 3 hrs - still incredible to watch again.
Neither has ever played better.


 
Date: 22 Jan 2009 07:48:58
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
Fred Goodwin wrote:
> I know these things are very subjective, but my son (JV on his HS team
> as a freshman and a huge tennis fan) wants to compile a set of DVDs
> with the greatest matches of all-time.
>
> For Christmas, I gave him the 2007 US Open quarterfinal, Roger Federer
> vs Andy Roddick, which has been on his wish-list (other than the fact
> that Roddick is my son's favorite player, what is so special about
> this match?).
>
> For his birthday last week, we gave him the 2008 Wimbledon Final,
> where Rafael Nadal finally beat Federer.
>
> He's also asked for a copy of the 2001 US Open quarterfinal match
> between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in which apparently neither
> player ever broke the other's serve. I have that one on order.
>
> So, if you were putting together a collection of the greatest matches
> of all-time, which ones would you include? A recent SI article
> mentioned these two:
>
> 1980 Wimbledon (Final?) Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe
> 1982 (?) Davis Cup (round?) Mats Wilander v John McEnroe
>
> Any others on your list of all-time favorites? If you have
> suggestions, could you also mention why you selected it?
>
> Thanx in advance.


1999 Wimbledon Sampras v Agassi - extremely high level from both players
- tough to beat if you're looking for 2 greats going full tilt.

1984 Wimbledon McEnroe v Connors - Mac at his magical best.

1990 USO Sampras v Agassi - no explanation required.

1992 AO McEnroe d Emilio Sanchez - great stuff.

1996 YEC Sampras v Becker - 2 greats close to peak.

2003 USO Henin v Capriati - tough to find a better women's match.


  
Date: 22 Jan 2009 08:52:42
From: DavidW
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
Whisper wrote:
>
> 1999 Wimbledon Sampras v Agassi - extremely high level from both
> players - tough to beat if you're looking for 2 greats going full
> tilt.
>
> 1984 Wimbledon McEnroe v Connors - Mac at his magical best.

Since you are including virtuoso performances:
1988 Wimbledon Mecir v. Wilander

> 1990 USO Sampras v Agassi - no explanation required.
>
> 1992 AO McEnroe d Emilio Sanchez - great stuff.
>
> 1996 YEC Sampras v Becker - 2 greats close to peak.
>
> 2003 USO Henin v Capriati - tough to find a better women's match.





   
Date: 22 Jan 2009 09:07:24
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
DavidW wrote:
> Whisper wrote:
>> 1999 Wimbledon Sampras v Agassi - extremely high level from both
>> players - tough to beat if you're looking for 2 greats going full
>> tilt.
>>
>> 1984 Wimbledon McEnroe v Connors - Mac at his magical best.
>
> Since you are including virtuoso performances:
> 1988 Wimbledon Mecir v. Wilander
>

Yeah that was a good one, though Mats was always a little soft at
Wimbledon.


 
Date: 21 Jan 2009 12:25:12
From: Fred Goodwin
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On Jan 21, 2:21=A0pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com >
wrote:
>
> Top-ten all-time matches is a subjective thing, as it may well depend
> on what you (or your son) want to see. For example, if the draw is
> baseline shot-making, then you'd probably be more interested in the
> tennis matches of the last 15 years or so, despite the fact that maybe
> some of the bigger names in tennis history (McEnroe, Borg, Edberg,
> etc...) would not feature an appearance. If you're interested in
> variety of game, you're better off considering the matches of the 80's
> and perhaps early 90's. If you're looking for drama, you could pick
> and choose from any era that's on film, and would be interested in the
> matches you mentioned above, as well as Safin d. Federer @ AO 2005,
> Nadal and Federer's 2007 Wimbledon final, and so on.

Thanx for your comments. My son doesn't really have a "style" so I'm
not sure exactly what he's looking for. But I will certainly look for
the two matches you suggested.


  
Date: 21 Jan 2009 22:37:17
From: Sakari Lund
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:25:12 -0800 (PST), Fred Goodwin
<fgoodwin@yahoo.com > wrote:

>On Jan 21, 2:21 pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Top-ten all-time matches is a subjective thing, as it may well depend
>> on what you (or your son) want to see. For example, if the draw is
>> baseline shot-making, then you'd probably be more interested in the
>> tennis matches of the last 15 years or so, despite the fact that maybe
>> some of the bigger names in tennis history (McEnroe, Borg, Edberg,
>> etc...) would not feature an appearance. If you're interested in
>> variety of game, you're better off considering the matches of the 80's
>> and perhaps early 90's. If you're looking for drama, you could pick
>> and choose from any era that's on film, and would be interested in the
>> matches you mentioned above, as well as Safin d. Federer @ AO 2005,
>> Nadal and Federer's 2007 Wimbledon final, and so on.
>
>Thanx for your comments. My son doesn't really have a "style" so I'm
>not sure exactly what he's looking for. But I will certainly look for
>the two matches you suggested.

Sampras - Becker at YEC 1996 is still one of the best matches I have
seen. (YEC = year-end championship, whatever it was called then). Most
of the matches mentioned in this thread are also very good.


 
Date: 21 Jan 2009 12:21:13
From: andrew.reys@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Top ten all-time matches?
On Jan 21, 12:12 pm, Fred Goodwin <fgood...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> I know these things are very subjective, but my son (JV on his HS team
> as a freshman and a huge tennis fan) wants to compile a set of DVDs
> with the greatest matches of all-time.
>
> For Christmas, I gave him the 2007 US Open quarterfinal, Roger Federer
> vs Andy Roddick, which has been on his wish-list (other than the fact
> that Roddick is my son's favorite player, what is so special about
> this match?).
>
> For his birthday last week, we gave him the 2008 Wimbledon Final,
> where Rafael Nadal finally beat Federer.
>
> He's also asked for a copy of the 2001 US Open quarterfinal match
> between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in which apparently neither
> player ever broke the other's serve. I have that one on order.
>
> So, if you were putting together a collection of the greatest matches
> of all-time, which ones would you include? A recent SI article
> mentioned these two:
>
> 1980 Wimbledon (Final?) Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe
> 1982 (?) Davis Cup (round?) Mats Wilander v John McEnroe
>
> Any others on your list of all-time favorites? If you have
> suggestions, could you also mention why you selected it?
>
> Thanx in advance.

Top-ten all-time matches is a subjective thing, as it may well depend
on what you (or your son) want to see. For example, if the draw is
baseline shot-making, then you'd probably be more interested in the
tennis matches of the last 15 years or so, despite the fact that maybe
some of the bigger names in tennis history (McEnroe, Borg, Edberg,
etc...) would not feature an appearance. If you're interested in
variety of game, you're better off considering the matches of the 80's
and perhaps early 90's. If you're looking for drama, you could pick
and choose from any era that's on film, and would be interested in the
matches you mentioned above, as well as Safin d. Federer @ AO 2005,
Nadal and Federer's 2007 Wimbledon final, and so on.