tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 10 Jan 2009 16:44:18
From: Raja
Subject: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between them on
Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 = 22
slams)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles

Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?

Steffi Graf beat Monica Seles,Arantxa Sanchez, Chris Evert and Martina
Navratilova to win 89 Wimbledon. Thats (9+4+18+18) = 49 slams. I doubt
anyone can beat this record





 
Date: 11 Jan 2009 15:11:49
From:
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between

>
> Sampras beat Muster, Lendl, Mac and Agassi to win first USO.
>
> That's 24 Slams among those players.


Sampras is the GOAT.


  
Date: 12 Jan 2009 16:31:54
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
Arancione@selin.com wrote:
>> Sampras beat Muster, Lendl, Mac and Agassi to win first USO.
>>
>> That's 24 Slams among those players.
>
>
> Sampras is the GOAT.


Agreed.



 
Date: 11 Jan 2009 15:08:22
From:
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 10, 7:44=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 =3D 22
> slams)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?
>
> Steffi Graf beat Monica Seles,Arantxa Sanchez, Chris Evert and Martina
> Navratilova to win 89 Wimbledon. Thats (9+4+18+18) =3D 49 slams. I doubt
> anyone can beat this record

Definetely not Federina in his clownish era.


 
Date: 11 Jan 2009 10:57:49
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 11, 8:47=A0am, Jason Catlin <jason-cat...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 10, 7:44=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 =3D 22
> > slams)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> > Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?
>
> Sampras beat Muster, Lendl, Mac and Agassi to win first USO.
>
> That's 24 Slams among those players.

This is already mentioned before. Has anyone beaten opponents worth
more than 24 slams?



  
Date: 11 Jan 2009 22:38:30
From: TT
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
Raja wrote:
> On Jan 11, 8:47 am, Jason Catlin <jason-cat...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 10, 7:44 pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 = 22
>>> slams)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>>> Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?
>> Sampras beat Muster, Lendl, Mac and Agassi to win first USO.
>>
>> That's 24 Slams among those players.
>
> This is already mentioned before. Has anyone beaten opponents worth
> more than 24 slams?
>

Anyone who beat Rosewall and Laver at same tournament would've been
worth 42 majors to begin with.

--
"Now I have so many dreams to chase - the French Open, an Olympic
singles gold medal in London in 2012, the Davis Cup for Switzerland"


 
Date: 11 Jan 2009 10:57:14
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 10, 8:44=A0pm, "Stapler" <d...@d.com > wrote:
> "Raja" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:9a017ceb-adda-4dc1-b8ce-b20454d249c6@p29g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>
> >>>What are you smoking? I am talking about plain math here. All the wins
>
> were =A0valid and those 4 would win 49 slams in between them.<<<
>
> Ok, how stupid are you Raja? Vicario and Seles only had 1 slam win betwee=
n
> them at 1989 Wimbledon. Also Evert was 3 years past her last slam win and
> Martina would only win 1 more slam(1990 Wimbledon).

hey moron, talking basic math. Dont care which opponent was at which
stage in their career.

One request, fuck off from this thread. You are too stupid for this.



 
Date: 11 Jan 2009 06:47:57
From: Jason Catlin
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 10, 7:44=A0pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 =3D 22
> slams)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?

Sampras beat Muster, Lendl, Mac and Agassi to win first USO.

That's 24 Slams among those players.


 
Date: 11 Jan 2009 06:45:56
From: GOAT
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 11, 12:59=A0am, gregor...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 11, 12:44=A0am, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 =3D 22
> > slams)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> > Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?
>
> I presume you include all slams won by opponents, even those won at a
> later date (since Wilander had only won 6 at the time above)
>
> I fear you have opened the door nicely to Whisper to trumpet Sampras's
> 1990 USO win: Muster(1) + Lendl(8) + McEnroe (7) + Agassi (8) =3D 24.
>
> Though that is matched by Edberg's 1992 USO - Krajicek(1) + Lendl (8)
> + Chang (1) + Sampras (14) =3D 24.
>
> There may be better ones again - if someone beat Sampras and Agassi/
> Lendl at a slam plus someone else with a few slams?

He didn't win the slam, but Goran beat Lendl (8), Edberg (6) and
Sampras (14) on his way to reaching the 1992 W final. Thus a total of
28 just to reach the final.


 
Date: 10 Jan 2009 17:33:46
From: Calimero
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 11, 1:48=A0am, "Stapler" <d...@d.com > wrote:
> "Raja" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:8f8dadce-79ce-48b4-be1f-c11f3bb4ff96@t3g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 =3D 22
> > slams)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> > Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?
>
> > Steffi Graf beat Monica Seles,Arantxa Sanchez, Chris Evert and Martina
> > Navratilova to win 89 Wimbledon. Thats (9+4+18+18) =3D 49 slams. I doub=
t
> > anyone can beat this record
>
> Beating up on old Martina and Evert is not valid. ...

Navratilova had a 67-3 win/loss streak from spring 1989 until winter
1990.
Her 3 losses all came against Steffi Graf (Wimbledon, USO, YEC
finals).
So without Graf she would have a 70-match winning streak.

Navratilova won Wimbledon in 1990 and beat Seles several times in the
90ies (last time in 1993).
Navi was a late bloomer who won her 3rd slam in December 1981 at age
25 and made her last slam final in July 1994 at age 37.
She returned to tennis in 2002 (aged 45), beat a top20 player and took
a set off a top-10 player.

To suggest that Navratilova was "too old" in 1989 (aged 32) is
extremely retarded.
It is a typical US-style excuse (too old, too young, had been stabbed,
wasn't allowed to grunt, faced racism, was irritated by hand incident,
played WTT instead of FO, had played too much doubles the day before,
fell off her horse, had to promote WTA pro tennis - you name it).
Let me guess - you are an American ... ?


Max


 
Date: 10 Jan 2009 17:05:36
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 10, 6:59=A0pm, gregor...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 11, 12:44=A0am, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 =3D 22
> > slams)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> > Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?
>
> I presume you include all slams won by opponents, even those won at a
> later date (since Wilander had only won 6 at the time above)
>
> I fear you have opened the door nicely to Whisper to trumpet Sampras's
> 1990 USO win: Muster(1) + Lendl(8) + McEnroe (7) + Agassi (8) =3D 24.

Good one. Has anyone beaten the 24 number?

>
> Though that is matched by Edberg's 1992 USO - Krajicek(1) + Lendl (8)
> + Chang (1) + Sampras (14) =3D 24.
>
> There may be better ones again - if someone beat Sampras and Agassi/
> Lendl at a slam plus someone else with a few slams?

Did anyone do that? I highly doubt it.



 
Date: 10 Jan 2009 17:01:45
From: Raja
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 10, 6:48=A0pm, "Stapler" <d...@d.com > wrote:
> "Raja" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:8f8dadce-79ce-48b4-be1f-c11f3bb4ff96@t3g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 =3D 22
> > slams)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> > Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?
>
> > Steffi Graf beat Monica Seles,Arantxa Sanchez, Chris Evert and Martina
> > Navratilova to win 89 Wimbledon. Thats (9+4+18+18) =3D 49 slams. I doub=
t
> > anyone can beat this record
>
> Beating up on old Martina and Evert is not valid. If you exclude them, it=
's
> just Seles + Vicario and you have to look at how many slams did they have=
at
> the time of 89 WImbldon. I recall only Vicario with the French Open title=
.
> So in reality, Graf beat a 1-time slam champion of her generation on the =
way
> to that slam win. Let's be real about this, not a mindless fanboi.

What are you smoking? I am talking about plain math here. All the wins
were valid and those 4 would win 49 slams in between them.



  
Date: 11 Jan 2009 02:44:36
From: Stapler
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between them on the way to win a major?
"Raja" <zepfloyes@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:9a017ceb-adda-4dc1-b8ce-b20454d249c6@p29g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...

>>>What are you smoking? I am talking about plain math here. All the wins
were valid and those 4 would win 49 slams in between them.<<<

Ok, how stupid are you Raja? Vicario and Seles only had 1 slam win between
them at 1989 Wimbledon. Also Evert was 3 years past her last slam win and
Martina would only win 1 more slam(1990 Wimbledon).



 
Date: 10 Jan 2009 16:59:45
From:
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between
On Jan 11, 12:44=A0am, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 =3D 22
> slams)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?

I presume you include all slams won by opponents, even those won at a
later date (since Wilander had only won 6 at the time above)

I fear you have opened the door nicely to Whisper to trumpet Sampras's
1990 USO win: Muster(1) + Lendl(8) + McEnroe (7) + Agassi (8) =3D 24.

Though that is matched by Edberg's 1992 USO - Krajicek(1) + Lendl (8)
+ Chang (1) + Sampras (14) =3D 24.

There may be better ones again - if someone beat Sampras and Agassi/
Lendl at a slam plus someone else with a few slams?





 
Date: 11 Jan 2009 00:48:39
From: Stapler
Subject: Re: Who has defeated opponents who have won the most slam between them on the way to win a major?
"Raja" <zepfloyes@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:8f8dadce-79ce-48b4-be1f-c11f3bb4ff96@t3g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
> Lendl beat Wilander, Connors, McEnroe in 1987 USO Thats (7+8+7 = 22
> slams)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_US_Open_-_Men's_Singles
>
> Has anyone else beat so many champions enroute to a slam win?
>
> Steffi Graf beat Monica Seles,Arantxa Sanchez, Chris Evert and Martina
> Navratilova to win 89 Wimbledon. Thats (9+4+18+18) = 49 slams. I doubt
> anyone can beat this record
>


Beating up on old Martina and Evert is not valid. If you exclude them, it's
just Seles + Vicario and you have to look at how many slams did they have at
the time of 89 WImbldon. I recall only Vicario with the French Open title.
So in reality, Graf beat a 1-time slam champion of her generation on the way
to that slam win. Let's be real about this, not a mindless fanboi.