tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 01 Feb 2009 11:08:26
From: wkhedr
Subject: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
4- all of the above?
----------------------------------------------

I choose (3).





 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 23:45:31
From: topspin
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On 3 Feb, 00:18, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> On Feb 2, 5:47=A0pm, topspin <goolagong...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On 1 Feb, 19:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > > 4- all of the above?
> > > ----------------------------------------------
>
> > > I choose (3).
>
> > How about
>
> > 5 - he is someone who easily taps into his emotions of joy or sadness,
> > who lives in the moment, and who may therefore find it easy to move
> > on, having let it all out, rather than bottling it up
>
> > Just a guess...
>
> I don't think he is what you described because he is able to control
> his emotions during difficult matches all the time and show nothing
> plus people that are that way (the way you described) are usually
> incapable of achieving too much.

My observation is that yes, he is good at control in matches, but
afterwards he has cried when he has lost, and when he has won.

And people who are the way I have described are indeed capable of
great things. They are called emotional, Italian, Mediterranean,
Actors,.....So why not an emotionally open tennis player?


  
Date: 03 Feb 2009 09:17:35
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
topspin wrote:
> On 3 Feb, 00:18, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 2, 5:47 pm, topspin <goolagong...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> On 1 Feb, 19:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>
>>>> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
>>>> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
>>>> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
>>>> 4- all of the above?
>>>> ----------------------------------------------
>>
>>>> I choose (3).
>>
>>> How about
>>
>>> 5 - he is someone who easily taps into his emotions of joy or
>>> sadness, who lives in the moment, and who may therefore find it
>>> easy to move on, having let it all out, rather than bottling it up
>>
>>> Just a guess...
>>
>> I don't think he is what you described because he is able to control
>> his emotions during difficult matches all the time and show nothing
>> plus people that are that way (the way you described) are usually
>> incapable of achieving too much.
>
> My observation is that yes, he is good at control in matches, but
> afterwards he has cried when he has lost, and when he has won.
>
> And people who are the way I have described are indeed capable of
> great things. They are called emotional, Italian, Mediterranean,
> Actors,.....So why not an emotionally open tennis player?



Sampras was kinda Mediterranean, Nadal definitely is one.
Hm.





 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 16:23:55
From: wkhedr
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 2, 6:10=A0pm, TennisGuy <Jeffery21...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2:08=A0pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > 4- all of the above?
> > ----------------------------------------------
>
> > I choose (3).
>
> If I was FORCED to choose one of the four I would go with three.
> Did he play a bad match? No.
> Did he fuck up? Yes.
>
> The match was close enough that if he hadn't fucked up at key moments
> (break points) and on his poor serving, he could have won.
>
> So this was a slam that was Fed's to win, but he let it slip by.
> He knew it. That in part, was why he was crying.

I agree with your choice. If people that play tennis and have a good
serve can imagine how bad it feels playing an important match and from
the start to the end they keep serving badly waitng for the serve to
click in any moment but it doesn't happen combined with the failure to
convert too many break points in a set you were in control of to end
up losing the set in TB on silly mistakes.


 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 16:18:23
From: wkhedr
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 2, 5:47=A0pm, topspin <goolagong...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On 1 Feb, 19:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > 4- all of the above?
> > ----------------------------------------------
>
> > I choose (3).
>
> How about
>
> 5 - he is someone who easily taps into his emotions of joy or sadness,
> who lives in the moment, and who may therefore find it easy to move
> on, having let it all out, rather than bottling it up
>
> Just a guess...

I don't think he is what you described because he is able to control
his emotions during difficult matches all the time and show nothing
plus people that are that way (the way you described) are usually
incapable of achieving too much.



 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 15:34:41
From:
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
> Obviously he needs to make some improvements. =A0That was the point of my
> post, I think he finally realized he is not #1. =A0It will be interesting=
to
> see what he does now.

I think this is an interesting point.

I don't think Federer really faced up to the fact that Nadal was now
#1. He believed (or chose to believe) that in reality he was still #1
himself, but that it was just a bit of bad luck and illness which cost
him the top spot last year. In his heart he thinks he is better than
Nadal and that he should still be at the top of the rankings.

However, it could be a positive thing for him if he uses it in the
right way. If he accepts that fact that he is #2, then a lot of the
pressure should be lifted and transferred to Nadal. He can play with
more freedom and maybe just even ENJOY playing which he doesn't seem
to have done in a long time. That could get his game back to where it
could be and he should be able to pick up a couple more slams.

However, this is easier said that done - it's not really in Federer's
nature to accept this easily, and it might need someone around him to
get him to see this.



 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 15:22:47
From: kaennorsing
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On 2 feb, 01:34, mzavag...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 1 feb, 17:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > 4- all of the above?
>
> None of above.
> I think that is now when Roger has a REAL aware that he cannot beat
> Nadal. And like everything in this world is a process, Roger is
> playing the psychological cycle known as "mourning." He has begun to
> leave the stage of denial (which has remained in he too long since
> Wimbledon ) and has entered the stage of depression. It is unfortunate
> but thus works the human mind. I think even that will (hopefully it
> does not) we will see a Roger a little time away from tennis. A
> psychological process as grief of "mourning" has to be solved. Man
> cannot always be crying as a child, at least in public.
>
> Enjoy.

True, it is the mind that make us suffer. The ego; the inner voice,
the thought process that creates emotion is what made Roger Federer
cry on Sunday.

Listening to his ego and being unable to detach from it by simply
accepting what is, just *is*. Making it impossible to be conscious,
aware and in the moment. Instead he was busy processing what happened
and what will happen. Digging in the past and projecting in the
future. That's what created his suffering and the unbearable agony.

When you're the dominant force on tour for years your ego will
convince you that th=E1t is actually you. Th=E1t's what you are and wh=F3
you are. That that's what defines you. It thrives to tell you you're
significant and you have great influence on your surrounding.

The ego always looks for confirmation and tries to expand by pushing
its host to become even more influential. It sets goals and rewards
when managing to reach these goals; winning, making money, influencing
people and situations. You will feel pure joy and be elated purely
through accomplishment... But only for so long... then your ego tells
you you need more of it. It's not enough. It puts you down again by
aiming on your fear. The fear you might lose this great influence or
power by not acting to enhance or defend your position. As the inner
voice become louder, it's increasingly difficult to ignore.

You obviously need a pretty healthy ego to be a successful
professional. It motivates the person, but it also brings the person
down again. The same way the ego gives great pleasure in victory, it
brings great pain in loss. When one loses something dear, like a
friend, a family member, a job, money, house, car, a match or whatever
it is one 'thinks' is of great importance, the ego suffers. The level
of influence and control over the world has diminished and it hurts
badly.

That is *if* you're unable to detach yourself from the ego. By
detaching from the ego, the thinking stops and there's no more pain.
You simply accept whatever happened and can be conscious and in the
present.

Once, I remember, in response to a question by a journalist, Roger
said (with a hint of pride) he was able to 'live in the moment'.
Reasoning his level of success in handling the pressure moments of a
match, he obviously became aware of the importance of being able to
live in the present. Probably by having experienced his focus was much
greater by not thinking, but *accepting* what happened and simply
being conscious and alive in the moment and therefore reaching a much
greater level of concentration and awareness. Experiencing a greater
sense of the situation without reasoning or projection (something you
clearly see in Nadal today).

This response demonstrated to me his ability to detach from his ego,
his recognition of this detachment by referring to his ability to 'be
in the moment', but ironically - by the same proud manner of the
statement - also a failure to avoid the trap of the reattachment t=F3
his ego. Does that tell us there isn't a true understanding and
awareness of this concept ingrained in his mind yet. Or... did he just
forget and start thinking again?

One can understand though; Roger=B4s ego must be a great, big ego and
being able to avoid listening to the great promise it spells out is
likely to be much harder than say - for me - to detach from my own,
much smaller, yet equally hideous and wonderful ego.


 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 15:10:45
From: TennisGuy
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 2:08=A0pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).

If I was FORCED to choose one of the four I would go with three.
Did he play a bad match? No.
Did he fuck up? Yes.

The match was close enough that if he hadn't fucked up at key moments
(break points) and on his poor serving, he could have won.

So this was a slam that was Fed's to win, but he let it slip by.
He knew it. That in part, was why he was crying.



 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 14:47:06
From: topspin
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On 1 Feb, 19:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).

How about

5 - he is someone who easily taps into his emotions of joy or sadness,
who lives in the moment, and who may therefore find it easy to move
on, having let it all out, rather than bottling it up

Just a guess...


 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 14:19:14
From: Mike
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 2, 3:46=A0pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com > wrote:

> He lost the match in 5 sets didn't he? =A0He is also the current USO cham=
pion.
> =A0I hardly think his career is over. =A0What are you talking about?
>
>

Do you think it is easy to think of yourself as gradually slipping in
the ranks? What a pathetic scene to watch some old guy continually
striving for past glory, only to watch him slip further behind. Better
to retire at the top. Then you can still do endorsements. So does Fed
go for two more titles and then retire? Or does he risk looking like a
fool trying one more time?

Obviously Fed was not hurt by loosing that one match. It was what it
meant to his career that caught up with him. That's why Nadal
reassured Fed that he will get the majors that he's working for.



  
Date: 02 Feb 2009 22:23:53
From: jdeluise
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote

On 2-Feb-2009, Mike <mjake@sirus.com > wrote:

> On Feb 2, 3:46 pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > He lost the match in 5 sets didn't he?  He is also the current USO
> > champion.
> >  I hardly think his career is over.  What are you talking about?
> >
> >
>
> Do you think it is easy to think of yourself as gradually slipping in
> the ranks? What a pathetic scene to watch some old guy continually
> striving for past glory, only to watch him slip further behind. Better
> to retire at the top. Then you can still do endorsements. So does Fed
> go for two more titles and then retire? Or does he risk looking like a
> fool trying one more time?
>
> Obviously Fed was not hurt by loosing that one match. It was what it
> meant to his career that caught up with him. That's why Nadal
> reassured Fed that he will get the majors that he's working for.

So far Nadal seems to be the only one who can take out Fed in a slam with
any regularity so I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Sounds like
you are another Fed-hater to me.


   
Date: 03 Feb 2009 00:45:14
From: Sakari Lund
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 22:23:53 GMT, "jdeluise" <jdeluise@gmail.com >
wrote:

>
>On 2-Feb-2009, Mike <mjake@sirus.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 2, 3:46 pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > He lost the match in 5 sets didn't he?  He is also the current USO
>> > champion.
>> >  I hardly think his career is over.  What are you talking about?
>> >
>> >
>>
>> Do you think it is easy to think of yourself as gradually slipping in
>> the ranks? What a pathetic scene to watch some old guy continually
>> striving for past glory, only to watch him slip further behind. Better
>> to retire at the top. Then you can still do endorsements. So does Fed
>> go for two more titles and then retire? Or does he risk looking like a
>> fool trying one more time?
>>
>> Obviously Fed was not hurt by loosing that one match. It was what it
>> meant to his career that caught up with him. That's why Nadal
>> reassured Fed that he will get the majors that he's working for.
>
>So far Nadal seems to be the only one who can take out Fed in a slam with
>any regularity so I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Sounds like
>you are another Fed-hater to me.

Don't know if he is Fed-hater, but seems to be one of those people who
declare people's career over after one loss. There was a real mania of
that some years ago in rst. Now we are talking about a guy who in the
last three slams has won one and lost two in 5-set finals. Surely his
career is over...



 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 13:06:47
From: TennisGuy
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 3:02=A0pm, Trevor Smithson <trevor_smith...@yahoo.com > wrote:

> How about the glaringly obvious anwer: =A0He was disappointed that he
> lost.

Yes this is the correct answer, but you are disqualified because you
didn't choose
from wkhedr's four selections!

You failed to read more into his tears than was apparent from the
surface.


 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 12:42:01
From: Giovanna
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote

> I choose (3).

3

he's right, cry when you=92re pissed~~


 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 12:35:20
From: Mike
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 2, 2:05=A0pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On =A01-Feb-2009, mzavag...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 1 feb, 17:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > > 4- all of the above?
>
> > None of above.
> > I think that is now when Roger has a REAL aware that he cannot beat
> > Nadal. And like everything in this world is a process, Roger is
> > playing the psychological cycle known as "mourning." He has begun to
> > leave the stage of denial (which has remained in he too long since
> > Wimbledon ) and has entered the stage of depression. It is unfortunate
> > but thus works the human mind. I think even that will (hopefully it
> > does not) we will see a Roger a little time away from tennis. A
> > psychological process as grief of "mourning" has to be solved. Man
> > cannot always be crying as a child, at least in public.
>
> > Enjoy.
>
> This is a very good post. =A0Seems to me something dawned on Federer afte=
r
> that match, very well could be the realization that he isn't #1 anymore.
> I'm not sure he really believed it until this moment.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

You don't get it. It was the sudden realization that his whole career
might be over. What's he going to now,.. slowly go down in the
rankings or retire? Now he's got some real thinking to do. If he can't
find some means of improvement in order to gain new confidence, he
might as well retire. What would you do if you suddenly realized that
your career is now over?

There's a couple of things he can do now... count it up to sheer luck,
look to some sports psychologist, take a time out from tour to do some
serious improvement to his play, or retire altogether #2.



  
Date: 02 Feb 2009 20:46:38
From: jdeluise
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote

On 2-Feb-2009, Mike <mjake@sirus.com > wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2:05 pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On  1-Feb-2009, mzavag...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > On 1 feb, 17:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> > > > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > > > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > > > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > > > 4- all of the above?
> >
> > > None of above.
> > > I think that is now when Roger has a REAL aware that he cannot beat
> > > Nadal. And like everything in this world is a process, Roger is
> > > playing the psychological cycle known as "mourning." He has begun to
> > > leave the stage of denial (which has remained in he too long since
> > > Wimbledon ) and has entered the stage of depression. It is unfortunate
> > > but thus works the human mind. I think even that will (hopefully it
> > > does not) we will see a Roger a little time away from tennis. A
> > > psychological process as grief of "mourning" has to be solved. Man
> > > cannot always be crying as a child, at least in public.
> >
> > > Enjoy.
> >
> > This is a very good post.  Seems to me something dawned on Federer after
> > that match, very well could be the realization that he isn't #1 anymore.
> > I'm not sure he really believed it until this moment.- Hide quoted text
> > -
> >
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> You don't get it. It was the sudden realization that his whole career
> might be over. What's he going to now,.. slowly go down in the
> rankings or retire? Now he's got some real thinking to do. If he can't
> find some means of improvement in order to gain new confidence, he
> might as well retire. What would you do if you suddenly realized that
> your career is now over?

He lost the match in 5 sets didn't he? He is also the current USO champion.
I hardly think his career is over. What are you talking about?

>
> There's a couple of things he can do now... count it up to sheer luck,
> look to some sports psychologist, take a time out from tour to do some
> serious improvement to his play, or retire altogether #2.

Obviously he needs to make some improvements. That was the point of my
post, I think he finally realized he is not #1. It will be interesting to
see what he does now.


 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 12:09:48
From:
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 1:25=A0pm, TT <g...@Olympics.org > wrote:
> tennis41...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 1:08 pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> >> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> >> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> >> 4- all of the above?
> >> ----------------------------------------------
>
> >> I choose (3).
>
> > the right reason which you ommited is -
> > - he knew his game is completely outmatched by Nadal now.
>
> > p.s. watch how Nadal's backhand overpowered Fed's forehand. that to me
> > is the new development and the bigger surpise. Nadal was not afraid of
> > pulling Fed wide and going to his forehand. this doesn't bode well for
> > Federer in his future matches with Rafa.
>
> Nadal's backhand was outstanding today! Too bad it wasn't his best
> forehand day but hey all well...
>
> --
> "Now I have so many dreams to chase - the French Open, an Olympic
> singles gold medal in London in 2012, the Davis Cup for Switzerland"- Hid=
e quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Brad Gilbert observed that by around the second set, said Rafa is
feeling the aftereffects of the semi and is not moving well on his
forehand side today.


 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 11:27:50
From: arahim
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 11:08=A0am, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).

Let us even accept the argument that Federer is in decline and Rafa at
his peak. The Wimbledon and Aus open finals were close enough and
could have gone either way. The hardest thing to take probably was the
closeness of the matches and yet ending up at the wrong end in each
case. Had they been easy victories for Nadal it would have been easier
to handle emotionally at least courtside. If you are outplayed by
miles you are outplayed by miles. It may hurt that you played lousy or
were no match but that is easier to take in some sense.


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 16:34:00
From:
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On 1 feb, 17:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:

> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?

None of above.
I think that is now when Roger has a REAL aware that he cannot beat
Nadal. And like everything in this world is a process, Roger is
playing the psychological cycle known as "mourning." He has begun to
leave the stage of denial (which has remained in he too long since
Wimbledon ) and has entered the stage of depression. It is unfortunate
but thus works the human mind. I think even that will (hopefully it
does not) we will see a Roger a little time away from tennis. A
psychological process as grief of "mourning" has to be solved. Man
cannot always be crying as a child, at least in public.

Enjoy.


  
Date: 02 Feb 2009 19:05:51
From: jdeluise
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote

On 1-Feb-2009, mzavaglia@gmail.com wrote:

> On 1 feb, 17:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > 4- all of the above?
>
> None of above.
> I think that is now when Roger has a REAL aware that he cannot beat
> Nadal. And like everything in this world is a process, Roger is
> playing the psychological cycle known as "mourning." He has begun to
> leave the stage of denial (which has remained in he too long since
> Wimbledon ) and has entered the stage of depression. It is unfortunate
> but thus works the human mind. I think even that will (hopefully it
> does not) we will see a Roger a little time away from tennis. A
> psychological process as grief of "mourning" has to be solved. Man
> cannot always be crying as a child, at least in public.
>
> Enjoy.

This is a very good post. Seems to me something dawned on Federer after
that match, very well could be the realization that he isn't #1 anymore.
I'm not sure he really believed it until this moment.


   
Date: 02 Feb 2009 22:05:41
From: TT
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
jdeluise wrote:
> On 1-Feb-2009, mzavaglia@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On 1 feb, 17:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
>>> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
>>> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
>>> 4- all of the above?
>> None of above.
>> I think that is now when Roger has a REAL aware that he cannot beat
>> Nadal. And like everything in this world is a process, Roger is
>> playing the psychological cycle known as "mourning." He has begun to
>> leave the stage of denial (which has remained in he too long since
>> Wimbledon ) and has entered the stage of depression. It is unfortunate
>> but thus works the human mind. I think even that will (hopefully it
>> does not) we will see a Roger a little time away from tennis. A
>> psychological process as grief of "mourning" has to be solved. Man
>> cannot always be crying as a child, at least in public.
>>
>> Enjoy.
>
> This is a very good post. Seems to me something dawned on Federer after
> that match, very well could be the realization that he isn't #1 anymore.
> I'm not sure he really believed it until this moment.

Or maybe he's just a sore loser. His interviews would suggest this is
correct.

It's not important why he cried, that's between him and his shrink. What
is important is that he shouldn't have cried there. I guess what I'm
trying to say is that you guys trying to figure out why he cried sounds
a lot like trying to find excuses for his behaviour...sort of similarly
as when he has said something un-pc in an interview after a loss.


    
Date: 02 Feb 2009 20:20:43
From: jdeluise
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote

On 2-Feb-2009, TT <gold@Olympics.org > wrote:

> jdeluise wrote:
> > On 1-Feb-2009, mzavaglia@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> On 1 feb, 17:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> >>> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> >>> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> >>> 4- all of the above?
> >> None of above.
> >> I think that is now when Roger has a REAL aware that he cannot beat
> >> Nadal. And like everything in this world is a process, Roger is
> >> playing the psychological cycle known as "mourning." He has begun to
> >> leave the stage of denial (which has remained in he too long since
> >> Wimbledon ) and has entered the stage of depression. It is unfortunate
> >> but thus works the human mind. I think even that will (hopefully it
> >> does not) we will see a Roger a little time away from tennis. A
> >> psychological process as grief of "mourning" has to be solved. Man
> >> cannot always be crying as a child, at least in public.
> >>
> >> Enjoy.
> >
> > This is a very good post. Seems to me something dawned on Federer after
> > that match, very well could be the realization that he isn't #1 anymore.
> >
> > I'm not sure he really believed it until this moment.
>
> Or maybe he's just a sore loser. His interviews would suggest this is
> correct.
>
> It's not important why he cried, that's between him and his shrink. What
> is important is that he shouldn't have cried there. I guess what I'm
> trying to say is that you guys trying to figure out why he cried sounds
> a lot like trying to find excuses for his behaviour...sort of similarly
> as when he has said something un-pc in an interview after a loss.

Not sure about sore loser (lets be real, everyone is to some extent), but I
don't think he should have cried. I think it's a bit of an insult to all
the people he has taken matches and titles from. Someone who has won 13
slams and still cries after losing one definitely has some questionable
balance in life. I think he should have used his joy of winning the other
slams to cushion his inevitable decline. I'm not saying he shouldn't cry,
but not in public like that.


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 14:12:47
From: Wayne
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On 1 Feb, 21:57, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com > wrote:

> Because he thought HC is the surface where he will beat Rafa, because
> he thought he would win this match, because he had chances to do it,
> because he has lost two 5-setters, maybe a little bit because he
> couldn't get 14.

I agree with this explanation.


  
Date: 02 Feb 2009 01:02:43
From: *skriptis
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
Wayne wrote:
> On 1 Feb, 21:57, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>
>> Because he thought HC is the surface where he will beat Rafa, because
>> he thought he would win this match, because he had chances to do it,
>> because he has lost two 5-setters, maybe a little bit because he
>> couldn't get 14.
>
> I agree with this explanation.

Strangely, me too.




 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 23:57:32
From: Sakari Lund
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:08:26 -0800 (PST), wkhedr <wkhedr@my-deja.com >
wrote:

>1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
>2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
>3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
>4- all of the above?
>----------------------------------------------
>
>I choose (3).

Because he thought HC is the surface where he will beat Rafa, because
he thought he would win this match, because he had chances to do it,
because he has lost two 5-setters, maybe a little bit because he
couldn't get 14.




 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 12:07:22
From:
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 7:51=A0pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2:45=A0pm, kaennorsing <ljubit...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On 1 feb, 20:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > > 4- all of the above?
> > > ----------------------------------------------
>
> > > I choose (3).
>
> > 3. He didn't actually play poorly but he did play a bad match. He was
> > nervous from the start and was always fighting an uphill battle. When
> > he looked to take charge of the match, he relaxed and got beat again.
>
> > To clarify. Federer could have been able to;
> > - serve a lot better than he did,
> > - start of the match better,
> > - get in to net more (72% pts won at the net is too high and Rafa
> > didn't seem as deadly on the pass as usual),
> > - take more risks on Nadal's serve,
> > - use the slice up the line more (when he did, he won most points),
> > - trust his instincts more,
> > - think less and believe in himself more, or like Rafa likes to say
> > "alvays believink in the victory"
>
> > Any one of these things may have been enough for the victory.
>
> Actually I agree with your post. Federer does more thinking than
> playing tennis when he plays Nadal.
> He is like "I have to hit a perfect serve, I have to hit the volley on
> the corner on the line so that Nadal can't get it back, etc".

Doesn't have to hit a perfect serve, just any one that goes in would
do.

Federer volleyed poorly today, and it certainly wasn't because he was
aiming to hit them on the lines ...



 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 12:05:39
From:
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 7:19=A0pm, "WAY2GOOD" <way2g...@wtg.com > wrote:
> "wkhedr" <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>
> news:b5dd67b9-08d6-41c6-8943-29a52ec4e800@r24g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...
>
> > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > 4- all of the above?
>
> Because he's a little bitch boy, and because he thought if
> he won this he could still make some claim to being the
> best, which now *clearly* isn't the case. =A0Verdasco
> played Rafa better than Feddy did.

Haven't seen you on this group since ... when was it, the USO? Strange
that you pop up again today ...



  
Date: 01 Feb 2009 20:41:55
From: jdeluise
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote

On 1-Feb-2009, gregorawe@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Feb 1, 7:19 pm, "WAY2GOOD" <way2g...@wtg.com> wrote:
> > "wkhedr" <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> >
> > news:b5dd67b9-08d6-41c6-8943-29a52ec4e800@r24g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...
> >
> > > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > > 4- all of the above?
> >
> > Because he's a little bitch boy, and because he thought if
> > he won this he could still make some claim to being the
> > best, which now *clearly* isn't the case.  Verdasco
> > played Rafa better than Feddy did.
>
> Haven't seen you on this group since ... when was it, the USO? Strange
> that you pop up again today ...

I don't think he posted during the US Open.


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 14:02:18
From: Trevor Smithson
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:08:26 -0800 (PST), wkhedr <wkhedr@my-deja.com >
wrote:

>1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
>2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
>3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
>4- all of the above?
>----------------------------------------------
>
>I choose (3).

How about the glaringly obvious anwer: He was disappointed that he
lost.


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 11:51:27
From: wkhedr
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 2:45=A0pm, kaennorsing <ljubit...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On 1 feb, 20:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > 4- all of the above?
> > ----------------------------------------------
>
> > I choose (3).
>
> 3. He didn't actually play poorly but he did play a bad match. He was
> nervous from the start and was always fighting an uphill battle. When
> he looked to take charge of the match, he relaxed and got beat again.
>
> To clarify. Federer could have been able to;
> - serve a lot better than he did,
> - start of the match better,
> - get in to net more (72% pts won at the net is too high and Rafa
> didn't seem as deadly on the pass as usual),
> - take more risks on Nadal's serve,
> - use the slice up the line more (when he did, he won most points),
> - trust his instincts more,
> - think less and believe in himself more, or like Rafa likes to say
> "alvays believink in the victory"
>
> Any one of these things may have been enough for the victory.

Actually I agree with your post. Federer does more thinking than
playing tennis when he plays Nadal.
He is like "I have to hit a perfect serve, I have to hit the volley on
the corner on the line so that Nadal can't get it back, etc".


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 11:45:50
From: kaennorsing
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On 1 feb, 20:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).

3. He didn't actually play poorly but he did play a bad match. He was
nervous from the start and was always fighting an uphill battle. When
he looked to take charge of the match, he relaxed and got beat again.

To clarify. Federer could have been able to;
- serve a lot better than he did,
- start of the match better,
- get in to net more (72% pts won at the net is too high and Rafa
didn't seem as deadly on the pass as usual),
- take more risks on Nadal's serve,
- use the slice up the line more (when he did, he won most points),
- trust his instincts more,
- think less and believe in himself more, or like Rafa likes to say
"alvays believink in the victory"

Any one of these things may have been enough for the victory.


  
Date: 01 Feb 2009 14:57:53
From: WAY2GOOD
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
"kaennorsing" <ljubitsis@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:291e4f06-817a-4ba2-9ddc-e2196dd928a7@z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
> To clarify. Federer could have been able to;
> - serve a lot better than he did,
> - start of the match better,
> - get in to net more (72% pts won at the net is too high and Rafa
> didn't seem as deadly on the pass as usual),
> - take more risks on Nadal's serve,
> - use the slice up the line more (when he did, he won most points),
> - trust his instincts more,
> - think less and believe in himself more, or like Rafa likes to say
> "alvays believink in the victory"
>
> Any one of these things may have been enough for the victory.

To clarify further, Rafa has beaten Feddy the last three slam finals
they played on three different surfaces.

To clarify even further, Feddy is FUCKED!






 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 11:25:57
From:
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On 1 feb, 17:08, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).

Because God is becoming a fan of Nadal ...

Enjoy.


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 11:19:43
From: The MAN
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 11:08=A0am, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).


But Remember Feddy also cried 4 years ago,
when he WON.


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 14:19:19
From: WAY2GOOD
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
"wkhedr" <wkhedr@my-deja.com > wrote in message
news:b5dd67b9-08d6-41c6-8943-29a52ec4e800@r24g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?

Because he's a little bitch boy, and because he thought if
he won this he could still make some claim to being the
best, which now *clearly* isn't the case. Verdasco
played Rafa better than Feddy did.





 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 11:17:07
From: wkhedr
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 2:15=A0pm, tennis41...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Feb 1, 1:08=A0pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> > 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> > 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> > 4- all of the above?
> > ----------------------------------------------
>
> > I choose (3).
>
> the right reason which you ommited is -
> - he knew his game is completely outmatched by Nadal now.
>
> p.s. watch how Nadal's backhand overpowered Fed's forehand. that to me
> is the new development and the bigger surpise. Nadal was not afraid of
> pulling Fed wide and going to his forehand. this doesn't bode well for
> Federer in his future matches with Rafa.

although I don't agree about the FH story (watch all the rallies), the
choice you say I omitted is included in number (2).


 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 11:15:05
From:
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 1:08=A0pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).

the right reason which you ommited is -
- he knew his game is completely outmatched by Nadal now.

p.s. watch how Nadal's backhand overpowered Fed's forehand. that to me
is the new development and the bigger surpise. Nadal was not afraid of
pulling Fed wide and going to his forehand. this doesn't bode well for
Federer in his future matches with Rafa.



  
Date: 01 Feb 2009 21:25:32
From: TT
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
tennis41ife@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Feb 1, 1:08 pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
>> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
>> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
>> 4- all of the above?
>> ----------------------------------------------
>>
>> I choose (3).
>
> the right reason which you ommited is -
> - he knew his game is completely outmatched by Nadal now.
>
> p.s. watch how Nadal's backhand overpowered Fed's forehand. that to me
> is the new development and the bigger surpise. Nadal was not afraid of
> pulling Fed wide and going to his forehand. this doesn't bode well for
> Federer in his future matches with Rafa.
>

Nadal's backhand was outstanding today! Too bad it wasn't his best
forehand day but hey all well...

--
"Now I have so many dreams to chase - the French Open, an Olympic
singles gold medal in London in 2012, the Davis Cup for Switzerland"


  
Date: 01 Feb 2009 20:25:19
From: Jérôme
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
Agree with the reason you mention.
Nadal is clearly the best player now. Federer used to be miles ahead all his
opponents in the recent years, but now he has seen Nadal coming from behind,
he simply hasn't got extra gear to catch him back.
Fed may win another slam yet since he still has some edge against other
opponents. Nadal may not win them all.


<tennis41ife@yahoo.com > a écrit dans le message de news:
0236777c-36bd-48d1-9137-780a777405ca@z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
On Feb 1, 1:08 pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).

the right reason which you ommited is -
- he knew his game is completely outmatched by Nadal now.

p.s. watch how Nadal's backhand overpowered Fed's forehand. that to me
is the new development and the bigger surpise. Nadal was not afraid of
pulling Fed wide and going to his forehand. this doesn't bode well for
Federer in his future matches with Rafa.




 
Date: 01 Feb 2009 11:11:32
From:
Subject: Re: Why did Federer cry that bad after losing? vote
On Feb 1, 2:08=A0pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> 1- b/c he could not match Sampras?
> 2- b/c he felt he won't win slams any more?
> 3- b/c he knew he fucked up and played a bad match?
> 4- all of the above?
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> I choose (3).

3.