tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 23 Jan 2009 20:26:06
From: jingus
Subject: almagro gets called on getting on-court coaching
at 5-6 in the 3rd set monfils hits a winner down the line. then almagro
turns to his coaches and asks if he should challenge (which is against
the rules). then he gets upset when the chair umpire won't let him
challenge after asking his coaches. the guy held up the game for at
least 5 minutes complaining about this nonsense.




 
Date: 24 Jan 2009 13:31:46
From: DavidW
Subject: Re: almagro gets called on getting on-court coaching
jingus wrote:
> at 5-6 in the 3rd set monfils hits a winner down the line. then
> almagro turns to his coaches and asks if he should challenge (which
> is against the rules).

Nevertheless most players do it and the umpires let them. It is unfair for an
umpire to suddenly change what all players have come to expect, whatever the
rule says.

> then he gets upset when the chair umpire
> won't let him challenge after asking his coaches. the guy held up
> the game for at least 5 minutes complaining about this nonsense.

Fortunately the ball was in, so it made no difference.





  
Date: 23 Jan 2009 20:37:16
From: Trevor Smithson
Subject: Re: almagro gets called on getting on-court coaching
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:31:46 +1100, "DavidW" <no@email.provided >
wrote:

>jingus wrote:
>> at 5-6 in the 3rd set monfils hits a winner down the line. then
>> almagro turns to his coaches and asks if he should challenge (which
>> is against the rules).
>
>Nevertheless most players do it and the umpires let them. It is unfair for an
>umpire to suddenly change what all players have come to expect, whatever the
>rule says.

Yeah, but Almagro got too sniffy and caused too long of delay over a
rule he knows he broke.

They should either get rid of the rule, or enforce it consistently.


>
>> then he gets upset when the chair umpire
>> won't let him challenge after asking his coaches. the guy held up
>> the game for at least 5 minutes complaining about this nonsense.
>
>Fortunately the ball was in, so it made no difference.
>
>

& Almagro shook hands with the ump, guess he wasn't too pissed.


   
Date: 24 Jan 2009 15:03:29
From: Edward McArdle
Subject: Re: almagro gets called on getting on-court coaching
In article <divkn4llko9k4l32ep4pmd96haavnhu5kp@4ax.com >, Trevor Smithson
<trevor_smithson@yahoo.com > wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:31:46 +1100, "DavidW" <no@email.provided>
>wrote:
>
>>jingus wrote:
>>> at 5-6 in the 3rd set monfils hits a winner down the line. then
>>> almagro turns to his coaches and asks if he should challenge (which
>>> is against the rules).
>>
>>Nevertheless most players do it and the umpires let them. It is unfair for an
>>umpire to suddenly change what all players have come to expect, whatever the
>>rule says.
>
>Yeah, but Almagro got too sniffy and caused too long of delay over a
>rule he knows he broke.
>
>They should either get rid of the rule, or enforce it consistently.
>
>
>>
>>> then he gets upset when the chair umpire
>>> won't let him challenge after asking his coaches. the guy held up
>>> the game for at least 5 minutes complaining about this nonsense.
>>
>>Fortunately the ball was in, so it made no difference.
>>
>>
>
>& Almagro shook hands with the ump, guess he wasn't too pissed.

Actually it was good to see that both players seemed to be enjoying the
match, and were playing in good spirit.

--
Edward McArdle