tennis-forum.net
Promoting tennis discussion.

Main
Date: 25 Jan 2009 20:57:30
From: stephenj
Subject: big break for Nadal
mofees was far more dangerous than no-weapons simon, who will be ground
down to a pulp by nadal like he does to all the other latin players.



--
When the facts change,
one's opinion ought to change.

- John Maynard Keynes




 
Date: 26 Jan 2009 19:58:06
From: Whisper
Subject: Re: big break for Nadal
stephenj wrote:
> mofees was far more dangerous than no-weapons simon, who will be ground
> down to a pulp by nadal like he does to all the other latin players.
>
>
>


Yes, Rafa smashed Simon last AO so this will be a cake walk.



  
Date: 26 Jan 2009 03:40:21
From:
Subject: Re: big break for Nadal
On Jan 26, 8:58=A0am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au > wrote:
> stephenj wrote:
> > mofees was far more dangerous than no-weapons simon, who will be ground
> > down to a pulp by nadal like he does to all the other latin players.
>
> Yes, Rafa smashed Simon last AO so this will be a cake walk.

Ridiculous analysis - have you watched any tennis since last year's
AO?





  
Date: 26 Jan 2009 09:05:44
From: Dave Hazelwood
Subject: Re: big break for Nadal
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:58:06 +1100, Whisper <beaver999@ozemail.com.au >
wrote:

>stephenj wrote:
>> mofees was far more dangerous than no-weapons simon, who will be ground
>> down to a pulp by nadal like he does to all the other latin players.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>Yes, Rafa smashed Simon last AO so this will be a cake walk.


ah that just gives him the element of surprise he is looking for a la
Madrid 2008.


 
Date: 25 Jan 2009 19:18:16
From: Lax
Subject: Re: big break for Nadal
On Jan 25, 9:57=A0pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com > wrote:
> mofees was far more dangerous than no-weapons simon, who will be ground
> down to a pulp by nadal like he does to all the other latin players.
>

Simon has one thing better than Monfils for handling Nadal, which is a
backhand that can spank back Nadal's topspin shots flat and hard.
Simon is better than Monfils at that.

But on the whole, an in form Monfils probably troubles Nadal more with
his huge serve getting a lot of cheap points (which we didn't see in
today's match because he took a lot off his serve).


  
Date: 25 Jan 2009 22:37:04
From: jingus
Subject: Re: big break for Nadal
Lax wrote:
>
> Simon has one thing better than Monfils for handling Nadal, which is a
> backhand that can spank back Nadal's topspin shots flat and hard.
> Simon is better than Monfils at that.
>

the most important thing that simon does is run down a lot of balls.
so you have to be very patient in your point construction.


> But on the whole, an in form Monfils probably troubles Nadal more with
> his huge serve getting a lot of cheap points (which we didn't see in
> today's match because he took a lot off his serve).
>

la monf was also hitting a lot of slice returns. he was having problems
with both his serve and his groundstrokes in this match. i thought that
it was wise of him to not force the issue: instead of hitting lots of
double faults or unforced errors on groundstrokes, he took a bit off
his serve and his groundstrokes and worked more on point construction.
that's a good sign of development coming from monfils: rather than
force matters, he instead seemed willing to rely on his defensive
abiilties and wait for his game to come around.


  
Date: 26 Jan 2009 03:35:38
From: Dave Hazelwood
Subject: Re: big break for Nadal
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:18:16 -0800 (PST), Lax <Lax.Clarke@gmail.com >
wrote:

>On Jan 25, 9:57 pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com> wrote:
>> mofees was far more dangerous than no-weapons simon, who will be ground
>> down to a pulp by nadal like he does to all the other latin players.
>>
>
>Simon has one thing better than Monfils for handling Nadal, which is a
>backhand that can spank back Nadal's topspin shots flat and hard.
>Simon is better than Monfils at that.
>
>But on the whole, an in form Monfils probably troubles Nadal more with
>his huge serve getting a lot of cheap points (which we didn't see in
>today's match because he took a lot off his serve).


Simon beat Rafa last time and in Spain and is more consistent that
Monfils who is a bit of a "flake".


 
Date: 25 Jan 2009 19:00:23
From: wkhedr
Subject: Re: big break for Nadal
On Jan 25, 9:57=A0pm, stephenj <s...@cox.com > wrote:
> mofees was far more dangerous than no-weapons simon, who will be ground
> down to a pulp by nadal like he does to all the other latin players.
>
> --
> When the facts change,
> one's opinion ought to change.
>
> - John Maynard Keynes

Simon is not bad.